Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: Give what I talked about in this post, will you upgrade your K10D when the replacement comes out for
Yes, Extra resolution for crapping and larger printing is important to me. 1 4.76%
No, I am happy with what I have and would like to build me accessories collection for the K10D. 11 52.38%
Yes, If there is really something stellar that is currently driving me crazy. Like TTL support. 6 28.57%
No, While there are a few things that bother me about the K10D, overall I am happy enough with it that I won't upgrade. 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:51 AM   #11

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Roy's and Ira's anwers could have been mine. And I'm over and over postponing my upgrade purchase by buying good glass, last was an FA 35 mm 2.0. (Haven't recieved it yet, hope it'll be in the mail today).

Haven't tried a K10D yet, but I'm a little concerned abouthigh ISO performance. Hope something will be done about that in the next upgrade. And of course TTL.

Kjell
After obtaining all the lens I could wish for(Like that will ever happen). So the answer is no! Not for at least 2 years anyway! Will still not have the lens I want even then....

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:04 AM   #12

I've had a K100D for almost a year and added a K10D recentlly. Love both cams.

I need long lenses more than about anything at the moment.I have a Sigma 100-300 F4 as my longest at the momentand it is a fine lens.

I couldn't wait for the DA* 300 any longer. There is no telling when it will finally be released.

The whole lens situation need to be addressed post haste!
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:25 PM   #13

I have both the DS and the K100D. I love them both, to the point that i have no desire to Upgrade at this point in time. What i am waiting For is the DA-18-250. If i get a sence that the reviews are good. It the Will be on top of my list for a X-mas present.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:10 PM   #14

Oh, god I just read my original post and the spelling me-stakes are just horrible. In my defense I just got my first laptop and I am having a hard time dealing with the scrunched up tiny keyboard. I am so sorry, that is supposed to be cropping not crapping <shakes head>.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:15 PM   #15

You are seem to be mostly in my frame of mind about upgrading. Normally I upgrade every year, but the K10D (once I made it through the teething period) is awesome and I am quite happy. So for me I will probably skip the next one and possibily the one after that. If they can get the MP up to 15 or 16 without noise or noise reduction related image quality issues then more MP would be enough for me to upgrade. I like doing extreme cropping which right now seems to be the only real benefit to more MP. You really don't seem to get any more image detail out of.

I just ordered from Amazon.com the Pentax 18-250. The same images that I have seen look quite good and I have not been disappointed with any Pentax lens so I feel fairly safe. Incase you don't know I only buy Pentax brand lenses. I don't like Sigma or Tamron, I have had too many issues with them and their quality.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:28 PM   #16

Robert, you are aware the DA18-250 is a rebadged Tamron?

The initial reports on the lensare very favorable, though.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:42 PM   #17

servaasproducts wrote:
Quote:
I'm also using a K100D, nt the K10D, and while the resolution is fine, what I find limiting is the internal buffering. After 3 shots (in RAW) my camera is out of action for 12 seconds while the buffer flushes. Other than that, i see no reason to upgrade. The K10D or it's replacement may be my next camera, but I can live with the K100D for now.

I am with you on the internal buffer on the camera. I also have the K100D and wish that it has a bigger buffer and faster, something like 5fps. I know the K10D has a bigger buffer but it still shoots at 3fps. I didn't feel like the need to upgrade to the K10D.

As far as the next camera, it hope it will have some improvement on the speed and better high ISO performance. I am not saying that the K10D isn't a good camera, just not worth upgrading to it. And seeing pentax and there past history on upgrade, they do small upgrade like the DS to the DS2 and the K100D to the K100D super. I hope the next K10D will be a new camera, not an add on.

If I was in your shoe, I wouldn't upgrade on the MP alone, just not worth it. Unless if they really improve in all the other departments like faster AF, better high ISO, faster fps, or anything that seems important to you, there is no need to upgrade. Yes it is nice to have the latest toy, but unless if you have money to burn it is simply not worth it. I would rather buy better lens or just save up the money.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:46 PM   #18

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Roy's and Ira's anwers could have been mine. And I'm over and over postponing my upgrade purchase by buying good glass, last was an FA 35 mm 2.0. (Haven't recieved it yet, hope it'll be in the mail today).
Lol....

Well Kjell, I guess you just couldn't resist after I got one hey? That FA 35 is one of the few lenses I have owned that can be shot wide open with almost no loss in image quality (unlike the FA 50 f1.4 which shows noticable improvement by f2.8). I don't think you will be disappointed, it is rapidly becoming my standard lens.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:59 PM   #19

The new Nikon and Sony Cams have sony built 12 plus MP CMOS sensors that are touted as reducing noise and increasing color rendition and sensitivity. I'm watching the reviews for these sensors as Pentax (at least so far) has used Sony sensors in their cams. I can see a upgraded K10 with the new sony 12mp CMOS sensor in my future if thats how it comes down. I could still use my K10. All my lenses would still be useful. And the K10 I now have would still be used. Instead of having to switch out my lenses all the time I'd just switch cams. So yeah, depending on how much better the 12mp Cmos sensor is regarding noise,color, etc. I'll definately buy a K10 body with one.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:05 PM   #20

Fortunately for me all I have is the K100D and it's only a matter of time before I'm ready to upgrade, so whatever the current top of the line body is when that time comes will be what I move to. I'm assuming I can wait until the next big thing is released by Pentax.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote