Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: Give what I talked about in this post, will you upgrade your K10D when the replacement comes out for
Yes, Extra resolution for crapping and larger printing is important to me. 1 4.76%
No, I am happy with what I have and would like to build me accessories collection for the K10D. 11 52.38%
Yes, If there is really something stellar that is currently driving me crazy. Like TTL support. 6 28.57%
No, While there are a few things that bother me about the K10D, overall I am happy enough with it that I won't upgrade. 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:26 PM   #21

I picked up a K100D about a month before the K10Ds were being delivered and about a week after its announcement. I thought about the 10 for a bit and then ordered the K100 primarly due to its size and weight, along with wanting to concrentrate on pictures rather than knobs and settings. I think for me, it was the right choice. I have enjoyed the camera a great deal.

I have run in to the lack of buffer size (HDR & panoramas) - and have just waited the 12 to 15 seconds for the flush to the SD card. That and the lack of marking the images orientation are my largest gripes. I am still learning the camera and still have a ways to go.

I can see upgrading to the 10's successor, if it is really good, probably about 6 to 12 months after the price premium comes off. It would have to be the same sized sensor, due to the glass I have acquired. Going from 6 to 12MP would be nice, but I would like to wait and see what the total package actually looks and performs like. I figure it's a good two years out for me. Till then, count me happy. Also, since I don't own a K10 - I too didn't vote.....

There are too many really good photographers on this forum, so I feel I need to at least get up to your level before I re-equip. I remember seeing Robert's image set of the north side of the Golden Gate bridge, I figure I need to at least get up to his level of photography.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:24 AM   #22

Yes. I know but it has two major differences over the Tamron version. One it has the Pentax coatings to cut down on distortions, this is a Pentax only thing and I am going to bet that because Pentax is putting their name and reputation on the line for it that it will be of a higher quality. The last time I tried a Tamron brand was with the 28-300, I went through 4 of them before I found one that didn't have issues. And, then the image quality was far worse than it should have been even for a lens with such a wide range.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:45 AM   #23

I remain with my DS and K100D. It will be a long time coming if I ever buy another Pentax. FPS rate is my reason I won't upgrade.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:14 AM   #24

Hi All,

I switched fron Canon to a Pentax ist D. If I Were to get another camera it would be another ist D. The K10D is an improvment of the ist D.

To me model in the ist line was a downgrade. Any new purchases will be lenses or accessories.

Everybody is talking buffer speed. Gee, A whole 12 seconds to clear the buffer....LOL!!!! This is the same thing I hear from the Canon and Nikon owners..... When is enough, enough???? It is funny how film photographers could get thos action shots with manual advance on their cameras.... I still shoot like I was still using film... Since DSLRs came out everyone is a machine gun shooter, Because they don't have to worry about development cost of the film... Oh Well, To each their own...

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:52 AM   #25
TDN

I'm still shooting my *ist DL.

Depending on what the new bodies next year look like, I will either go with a new one, or buy a (cheaper) K10D.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:44 AM   #26

Well, the only time I had any buffer issues was at the Wings Over Wine Country Air Show in September. Trying to photograph and f16 at mach 1.5 as it went by the airport was hard to do. Even with continous autofocus, JPG and rapid fire shoot mode. The K10D kept up pretty well. The only thing that had a hard time keeping up was me, it was just too fast. But, I go some nice ones out of it.

Normally I shoot only RAW, but I knew it wouldn't be fast enough even with a fast SD card to so what I wanted so JPG it was.

Robert
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:58 PM   #27

I had a long reply made to this that failed to post and was lost, so this one will hopefully be shorter. This is an interesting thread to me because I have been debating my next camera. My wife has expressed more interest in actually using the K100 and I find myself desiring some more advanced features.

After waiting for awhile to see if Pentax was going to bring out a new body before Christmas and then sweating when the rebates disappeared for awhile, I gave my wife the go ahead and I should be getting a K10d for our anniversary next month. I would have liked 5 fps burst speed, more lens choice, but in the end the K10 is still so much camera for the money. I got the K100d almost as soon as it was avialable. After rebate, I will be paying about $100 less for the K10d.

So to answer the question, if Pentax brings out something new, I might buy it after prices have come down again but I will not be in any big hurry and it will have to offer some significant advantages over what I already have.

I don't think we can expect prices to come much lower. The K10d with kit lens is available for $629 after rebate (I think you can get the body only for $568 but $60 I wanted another kit lens. The K100d Super is $399 after rebate. I hope Pentax is able to bring out a new higher end body but for the foreseeable future I will probably concentrate on filling in the holes in my lens collection or upgraded glass rather than upgrade the camera.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:21 PM   #28

Hi Rudy,
Quote:
Everybody is talking buffer speed. Gee, A whole 12 seconds to clear the buffer.... LOL!!!! This is the same thing I hear from the Canon and Nikon owners..... When is enough, enough???? It is funny how film photographers could get thos action shots with manual advance on their cameras....
The reason I touched on the buffer size and writing speed is not for action photography (strangely enough). I like to do panorama landscapes, and have been expirementing with HDR. So with a 4 or 5 frame panorama (anything beyond 3), after the first 3 frames, I need to wait until there is sufficient space in the buffer to shoot the next panel, while trying to hold the camera still, level and lined up for the next section. I know - the solution is a tripod, but I hate hauling it around.

So, then try to do HDR panoramas. The first panel is easy, 3 frames, then you want to rotate around for the next frame (waiting 15 seconds), again keeping everything level, aligned, etc. Again - the solution is a tripod - that I hate to haul around.

This is just one item that I did not consider - i.e., that HDR and buffer size would be tied in to burst speed and depth when I looking. It would not have made a difference, I would have gone the K100D route anyway. However, it took a bit to figure out what was going on the first time I tried it.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:31 PM   #29

I don't like HDR images myself, they look too much like paintings. However, I love panoramas and have probably done close to 300 witht he K10D. I however do not like carrying around a tripod either. So I use the camera strap. I roll it up in my hand until it is about to choke me and then the extra support that gives me along with my own holding works pretty good at keeping me steady.

My big problem with panoramas was figuring out which images went to which panorama. I tend shoot close to a 1000 shots per trip and I will do 10 to 20 batches of images for later stitching. I finally figured out that if I carried a little white business card sized sheet of heavy paper with me I could shoot that at the start of the series of images and then at the end. I have also taken to shooting my foot at the beginning and end. Anything that you aren't likely to take picture of will work and this works out like incamera organization. Crude but much better than trying to figure out what goes to what.

Robert