Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: Give what I talked about in this post, will you upgrade your K10D when the replacement comes out for
Yes, Extra resolution for crapping and larger printing is important to me. 1 4.76%
No, I am happy with what I have and would like to build me accessories collection for the K10D. 11 52.38%
Yes, If there is really something stellar that is currently driving me crazy. Like TTL support. 6 28.57%
No, While there are a few things that bother me about the K10D, overall I am happy enough with it that I won't upgrade. 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:42 PM   #1

I purchased my Pentax K10D when it came out (acutally I pre-ordered) and while I have had growing pains with it I have fallen in love with the camera. So assuming that 99% of upgraded cameras that companies put out are less than steller in almost all areas. And asume that the trend for MP upgrading holds (so the next K10D would have 12MP).

Are you happy enough with your current camera and resolution that you would skip the next update to the K10D?

Myself:

Given that I am happy with the resolution I have now. Given that the increase to 12Mp isn't really a lot and would probably cause a trade-off in image quality and given that the rest of the improvements will probably be minor (not that minor improvements can't be compelling mind you) I will probably for the firs time since getting my first digital camera in 1990 not upgrade to the next K10D. Oh, and yes I will stick with Pentax. I have my issues with the company, but I love the lenses I have and wouldn't want the stress of trying to find replacements for another brand of camera.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:54 PM   #2

I still have not figured out half the functions, I will probably use my K10D for at least another 2 years before I think of anything else. I have not even started investing in some decent glass, so it still has room to improve in IQ in that time so may last longer.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:03 PM   #3

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
I still have not figured out half the functions ...
Me neither. I've only recently graduated fro the "P setting to "Av" so have lots of other settings to play with (and find the right use for them). Also need to start using my external flash.

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:39 PM   #4

i haven't upgraded to the k10d and probably will not for quite awhile. if pentax comes out with something new it'll have to be something really good for me to choose it over the k10 as the price of the k10 then will half of what it is now. so far for me i've been more interested in quality glass to worry about megapixels. i do want the SR tho. i'm just not as steady as i once was.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:43 PM   #5

Keithw wrote
Quote:
Me neither. I've only recently graduated fro the "P setting to "Av" so have lots of other settings to play with (and find the right use for them). Also need to start using my external flash.

Keith
Same here about the flash, need to take the plunge and play with it more. As for modes, I very rarely shoot in anything other than manual because that's the only way I could get decent photo's out of the camera I had before (Fuji S5600 in RAW)
To me, Av is like voodoo magic, you mean you don't have to set everything by hand? :?
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:54 PM   #6

The only thing that would be nice is TTL flash capability..

If that could be remedied with a firmware fix to the K10D, then no I would not upgrade..

If I could find a *istDS with really low shutter trips, then I would purchase one soon to have TTL flash capability..

I'd probably only use the *istDSwith the camera mounted on a tripod, so the lack of SR would not be much of an issue..

Better quality & fasterglass; & becoming a better photographer with what I now own is more important then huge numbers of megapixels, etc..
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:56 PM   #7

Still have a DS and DL, not likely to upgrade unless something awefully good shows up. I would love a K10D but, like Roy,I will wait until the next one comes along and K10D prices drop.

Ira

BTW since I do not own a K10D I did not vote.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:39 PM   #8

Since I'm (for the most part) quite happy with the 6 mp on the K100, 12 mp wouldn't tempt me at all. Whatever upgrade they do for the next generation K10, it would have to be really awesome for me to think about another camera. If I didn't already own a K10, I might be having a tough time trying to decide between saving money by buying a K10 or getting the newer model.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:17 PM   #9

Roy's and Ira's anwers could have been mine. And I'm over and over postponing my upgrade purchase by buying good glass, last was an FA 35 mm 2.0. (Haven't recieved it yet, hope it'll be in the mail today).

Haven't tried a K10D yet, but I'm a little concerned abouthigh ISO performance. Hope something will be done about that in the next upgrade. And of course TTL.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:46 AM   #10

I'm also using a K100D, nt the K10D, and while the resolution is fine, what I find limiting is the internal buffering. After 3 shots (in RAW) my camera is out of action for 12 seconds while the buffer flushes. Other than that, i see no reason to upgrade. The K10D or it's replacement may be my next camera, but I can live with the K100D for now.

servaasproducts is offline   Reply With Quote