Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:57 PM   #1

Sorry, that should be a kite flying.

It being such a lovely day we went for a walk in the Chiltern hills. Unfortunately it was very hazy so no views, But I did spot one of these

It's not as razor sharp as I would like but when they fly past you just aim and fire.
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:44 PM   #2

Keith

Timely catch. I hardly have luck like that. Catching them in a glimpse is ok. Getting it photographed is something else .

Next time maybe I should have aimed at shooting kites then instead of bird in flight. That may work

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3

Too cool! Not as sharp as you like? Sharp enough to catch the tabs on his wings.. is that some new tracking method? Saw some Canadian Geese today with the yellow 'tags' on their necks and I swear it looked like it was restricting their eating. Maybe those clips are more humane (and color coded?)
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:06 PM   #4

Nice shot... You should be very proud that you have managed to make Daniel aka"Woodpecker's Best Friend" even slightly jealous, lol.On the other hand, youall make me jealous asI have never been able to get any decent bird shots.

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:14 PM   #5

Great raptor capture.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:14 PM   #6

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Too cool! Not as sharp as you like? Sharp enough to catch the tabs on his wings.. is that some new tracking method? Saw some Canadian Geese today with the yellow 'tags' on their necks and I swear it looked like it was restricting their eating. Maybe those clips are more humane (and color coded?)
Leg bands are the usual means of marking birds, but they are not always easily read or even conspicuous enough to be seen well at a distance. Wing tags are used on soaring birds, because their wings are held out where the tags can be seen. Most commonly they are used on larger birds like eagles and condors. Neck collars are used on geese because they walk with their necks upright where the collars can be easily seen. Tagged birds are usually banded as well. Thesecan only be used by government wildlife agencies, or by other licensed and permitted individuals, and these practices are coordinated between nations because migratory birds ceoss national borders.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:44 PM   #7

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Sharp enough to catch the tabs on his wings.. is that some new tracking method?
I was asked this by someone else so I looked it up on the web.

Having been extinct in England (and Scotland) they were reintroduced back in 1989. Here in England it was in the Chilterns. Fledlings are tagged every year, Inintially only the right wing was tagged, the colour denoting the year. But from 1998 the left wing was also tagged to identify th eregion. So the kite in the photo is from the Chiltern area (the yellow tag) and was hatched in 2006 (the green tag).

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote