Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

View Poll Results: Your lens of choice?
Zoom Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Autofocus (kit lens) 10 71.43%
Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Compact High Speed Zoom Autofocus 4 28.57%
Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Autofocus Len 0 0%
Phoenix Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Autofocus Lens 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:59 AM   #1

For the K10D....

Thank you everyone.
mlcinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2

The 18-55 is not a gamorous lenses but it does take very good pictures and the range isn't bad. Another one to consider if the Pentax 18-250 from what I have been able to find and the sample shots Bunnel posted to his blog it looks like it could be a very good lens with a great range.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3

Given the choices, I had to vote for the DA 18-55 because of the range.

If you had included the DA 16-45, I surely would have voted for it over the 18-55. Although, the 18-55 is a lot of bang for the buck.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4

EddyinGA wrote:
Quote:
Given the choices, I had to vote for the DA 18-55 because of the range.

If you had included the DA 16-45, I surely would have voted for it over the 18-55. Although, the 18-55 is a lot of bang for the buck.
Did you read this post Eddy?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

I like the Kit lens if you are not expecting it to be a world beater. It will do the job in that range and for the money is a very good buy. I tend to go more to the Manual lenses as that is where I'm most comfortable. Of my Auto lens the Tamron 70-300, the Sigma 100-300 and the Kit lens get my vote. For the manual lens the Vivitar series 1 70-210, the Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro and the Takumar 28-80 are good ones. I don't have or use any of the others you posted so my vote would only reflect that fact.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:43 PM   #5

Dawg, I've had both and I found the 16-45 to be a slightly better performer.

However, for my skill level, the DA 18-55 does a more than adequate job.

So, I sold the 16-45 and put the 18-55 back on my K100D.

EEMMV

Ed
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:03 PM   #6
TDN

The kit is a shame to pass up on.

It's cheap together with the body, and a very good wide-angle solution if you don't have high demands in that range. (like me)

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:21 PM   #7

It rather depends on what you want to do - these lenses aren't really the same, each offers something that the other doesn't.

I still use my kit lens - it's a good buy because it takes reasonably good pictures and costs so very little. I do mostly landscapes so I don't need a fast lens.

The Sigma is a 2.8 lens - much faster than the kit lens. If your primary purpose is indoors, then this might be a better buy, even though it's not very wide (28mm vs. 18 with the kit lens - that number is fairly significant as the 28mm borders on a "normal" lens with the dSLR crop factor).

The Tamron might be better for someone that wants something longer than the 55mm of the kit lens, and doesn't want the wider angle. For some people this would be a better walk-around lens. I'd want something wider and longer and would opt for the kit lens, along with either the DA 50-200 or something similar, as I'm mostly shooting longer rather than wider, and wouldn't want to give up what little wide-angle capability I have. If someone were planning on doing lots of wide angle photos and were planning on getting the 12-24mm, then this one would be a good companion.

I don't know anyone who has the Phoenix lens, and don't know anything about it. It's the same focal length and speed as the Tamron, so I'd probably still go with the kit lens as I suspect it would be a superior lens to the Phoenix (don't know who makes this particular one - some Phoenix lenses are very good while others are terrible).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:30 PM   #8

It's the kits lens out of what is listed.

What I do use 85% of the time is the Tamron 28-75 XR Di 2.8.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:03 PM   #9

i voted for the kit lens as that is what i have right now, bought the 16-50 2.8 over2 week ago but i am still waiting for it to get a ride down to me, heard only good things about it and i cant wait to use it
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:44 AM   #10

Have not voted as have not used the others, but the kit lens is good enough that I have not wanted to buy something in the same focal length.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote