Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:58 PM   #11

My time here on the Pentax forum has been short, as I just got my K10D a few months ago, but I'll miss your posts.

Let us know how you like your new gear.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:49 PM   #12

Thanks for what you contributed with as long as it lasted. Take care in Darkland - it's a jungle out there!:-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:22 PM   #13

Good luck in your future endeavours.

I will stay with Pentax unless I also find myself limited by the equipment (I am realistic about my own capabilities, I will not outgrow the camera any time soon). My interests are more geared to portrait and wedding photography so if I do move on it would probably be to Fuji with Nikon lenses, best fleshtones out there ( and compatible with the faster Nikon DSLR bodies if I do try sports).

I am definitely staying around for a couple of years yet.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:37 PM   #14

My new camera is a Canon. I am very impressed with what they are releasing for the sports world and the growth of my ability will never be limited by the equipment they have to offer. Also, with them having a large majority of the market share, there's a lot more used glass out there, even in the long/fast category. That all translates to me getting the same lenses in EOS mount cheaper than in K mount. I will share my experiance and some occasional pictures. Thanks for everything you guys/gals have tought me.

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:44 PM   #15

Nick, Have a nice trip and I have to be honest, the things I will miss most are the pictures of that absolutly beautiful little girl you'vegot!You're avatar is priceless!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:58 PM   #16

nick, have a great trip. my long/fast lens came in the tam300/2.8 and a couple of TCs. MF bothers me not one iota. get ready to get out the wallet.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:35 PM   #17

Thanks Glen, I will post pics of her from time to time as she grows...

Roy, That was a hell of a deal you got on that lens too. I hope I am ready for what the myfuture in photography holds!

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:39 PM   #18

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I have decided that it is in my better judgement to changeover to another brand system due to the readily available (and cheaper) long/fast glass, faster burst rates, and faster AF systems. I will miss ya'll and will return on occasion to post. I'm sorry that I have had to do this, butÂ*with my love ofÂ*sports photography, this day would come eventually anyway.

Nick
Nick,

It is not exactly that you are gone. You will still be around in maybe wildlife of sport forums.

I am sure you have made the right choice for your endeavor. While I have been on the same route and at times being frustrated, I have been following another path. I will see how well it goes with my existing Pentax shortish 300mm.

Pentax value for money is high except in terms of teleprimes. And it is pain to see some 300-500mm legacy lens (with pitiful supply thereof)going through the roof.

Maybe I am more into practically every aspect of photography (so-so let me say). I am happy with my BIF and fast actions shots I have just obtained these two months. Later on , I may long for longer lens and I know I will be in trouble .

I am sure you know these few recent pict of my work

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...811569#p811569

I personally know a fellow who has completely moved to Canon camp also for that . He had Pentax K10D (Tokina 400mmF4 & Bigma ) and around $3,000 of equipments. He (no name) has switched to these Canon equipment as follows:

Canon 30D,Canon 70-200L F4, Canon 400L F5.6, BG-E2 Grip, 580EX Flash
The Ultimate Light Box flash diffuser
Vivitar detachable flash bracket
RS-80N3 Cable Release Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2
Canon 50mm F1.8 MkI ( made in Japan )
Canon 85mm F1.8 ( made in Japan )
Canon 28-105 F3.5-4.5 II USM Macro ( made in Japan )
Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 Macro

Somehow I could sense that he is also frustrated with what he has (no proof though). He switched around Jan 07 and the last time I saw his work was 5 months ago.

AF particularly at this level (of predictive focus tracking) is still in its infancy for BIF . I have no clue if the new Nikon D3 is any effective answer to BIF shooters.

Also I have found out that , with AF , my camera body will have complete control of my work. You have a bird in the viewfinder and you shoot and pray that your camera does rest of the work. If not good, you blame the camera and yearn for more sophisticated Can/Nikon offering.

Now, I can only blame myself as all my metering and focusing are done in manual . If Pentax has higher burst rate I will do even better.

See you around

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:48 PM   #19

Good luck, if there is one thing this forum emphasizes, it is that the photography is important, not the camera. I considered a switch instead of an upgrade for some of the same reasons you mention. Of course, you can still keep your Pentax and you might find that the two tools work better for different tasks.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:45 PM   #20

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
AF particularly at this level (of predictive focus tracking) is still in its infancy for BIF . I have no clue if the new Nikon D3 is any effective answer to BIF shooters.

Also I have found out that , with AF , my camera body will have complete control of my work. You have a bird in the viewfinder and you shoot and pray that your camera does rest of the work. If not good, you blame the camera and yearn for more sophisticated Can/Nikon offering.

Now, I can only blame myself as all my metering and focusing are done in manual . If Pentax has higher burst rate I will do even better.

See you around

Daniel, Toronto
Daniel, your recent BIF shots are exemplary. Even the fastest AF systems are struggling with these shots, your "predictive focus" comes from experience and reason, not faster electronics. It seems the AF king may now be Olympus with the new E-3, and they have some fantastic long lenses but be prepared to break the bank. And always remember that BIF shots were made before the mid 1980s, and those were all MF. I owned a Minolta Maxxum 7000 and a Pentax K1000 at the same time, I let my wife use the automatic Minolta since I got far more enjoyment from the all manual Pentax.

Nick, Canon is probably a good choice for your type of photography, but be sure to start with a 30D/40D at the very least.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote