Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:37 PM   #1

Hey y'all, finally made an attempt at a website of mine own...thanks again, Harriet! Would you mind taking a little look-see & let me know what you think. This is my first time & I realize that it (& the pix) is basic at best. No thrills, chills, or bells & whistles...but I kinda like it so far. I know that it's a process & my options are somewhat limited as everything is provided by zenfolio.

Soooooo....here it tis!

http://digiwadue.zenfolio.com/

Like I said, C&C is more than welcome!
Thanks,
Ron

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:46 PM   #2

i like it too. very clean look, easy to navigate, and the photos are wonderful. #16 in the shawnee national forest gallery really stands out as my favorite, i really like that one.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3

It's very nice - you've done more than I have with your front page (I've got to do something more with mine). Zenfolio really is a nice site, the more I use it, the better I like it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 12:09 AM   #4

I liked it...If I had more time I'd try to set one up too.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:26 AM   #5

Ron,

Once I got the hang of closing windows to shrink the screen contents I definitely think you did a good job setting this up.

My only nit is having the 3 different gallery sections (featured vs recent vs all). I don't know if you have the ability to decide whether or not to include all of these sections or not.

If you do, whether or not to keep all three depends on how many galleries you intend to keep on your site. If the numbers are small (like now - although I understand that's likely because you've only been on the site for a few weeks) then there's a lot of redundancy - especially between recent and all. I know some people like to keep their web site galleries cleaned up to just a few and others never take anything down. So no 'right' answer here. I think the answer depends on how many galleries you intend to keep. If a lot then all 3 could make sense. If not, then if zenfolio allows it you might want to get rid of either 'feature' or 'most recent' to clean up your front page. The reason being you want to have as little scrolling as possible on any given web page.

Also - along those same lines, does Zenfolio allow for any type of categorization above the gallery level? I.E. can you have themes? This would allow you to keep that front page from growing unmanagable if you intend on having a large number of galleries on your site. Then you could just have the 'themes' or 'categories' listed on the front page.

Just some things to think about for managing your site as it grows.

Really nice work so far though
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:56 PM   #6

Ishino & Harriet, thanks as always for the kind words.

Dawg, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you retired?? If you are, don't you have ALL of the TIME in the WORLD?:GSeriously, if anybody on this forum that should have a site displaying their own photography, it's you & Roger & a few others. I know you are probably busy with the other site but Dawg...your shots are good! You should do a site. Also, I was really surprised on how easy & affordable ($40 per year) that Zenfolio is. If I can do it, I'm pretty sure that anyone can!

John, thanks for the insight. I just got done playing around with it a little & kept your ideas in mind. I put the "about me" stuff on left margin (who really cares anyway) & that way the galleries were more visible. Furthermore, I was able to "customize" it by hiding the "recently added" & "feature" galleries to make the "all photos" more easy to see. Like I said, I realize that this will be a "work in progress" & while I am some what limited in my options for now, hopefully, this will evolve into some thing more involved but, for now, I'm quite satisfied with the results.

I would like to figure out how to add captions onto the individual shot but not yet. Harriet, can you give any insight on this issue??

Any other ideas ????

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 6:15 PM   #7
TDN

Looks good!

You collected some nice images in there. I especially like the flowers.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:57 PM   #8

Go to the edit section, choose the gallery (if you weren't in it and got to the edit part by choosing "edit gallery"). If you click on a photo and look to the right, you'll see a section (about the middle of the page) that says "description" and gives you some options for editing the captions. Thanks for letting me know that you could hide the recently added and all galleries sections - while I probably won't be sending many to my home-page (mostly to individual albums), it was still distracting. I'll have to check out all that, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:30 PM   #9

Nice, clean and inviting!

Inspireing, I might have to take a look into getting one myself. Thanks, Ron!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote