Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:29 PM   #1

New member (long time lurker here) - so here goes:
Some reference points about me
I'm dslr shopping (after many years with manual film SLR - Canon FD unfortunately so I have no legacy lenses of any value in the DSLR world). (I also own a P&S Canon Pro 1 (has Canon L glass) but am tired of the EVF and slow focus etc. - FWIW on a tripod it's better than most P&S cameras and I have some decent 11*14's with - albeit under optimum conditions).

I'm seriously considering K10D and Nikon D80. I don't want a kit lens (prefer to choose my own glass). Currently leaning towards K10D based on price and compatability with old pentax lenses - (I think I can deal with manual focus for specific applications).

IQ is the most important factor for me bar none - I want to be able to make 20*16 prints (assuming minimal cropping). BTW - I'm not a fan of wide range zooms and might consider a prime telephoto vs zoom in the future.

I plan to start out with a body + 1 good quality (medium/short/wa lens) for landscape/street photos- considering sigma 17-70 or pentax 16-45 as a starting point - will add additional lenses later - probably a medium telephoto for sports.
My initial budget is about $1000 - more when LBA kicks in down the road.

Some initial questions:

Based on the preceeding what initial lenses would you suggest?

Is K10D about to be replaced soon (like the D80) - the current rebates would suggest that it is- however it looks like a great buy at current prices?

Has anyone used manual focus lenses with K10D - is the viewfinder bright/large enough to allow manual focus in moderate light? Any feedback on this is appreciated - FWIW I've been disappointed with the VF of older DSLR's (e.g. Nikon D70 etc.) so I've held off on buying till now.

K10D Autofocus performance - how does this compare with Nikon/Canon AF? (Some ng posts are critical of Pentax AF- may be important for sports photography)

Right angle finder availability - these are useful for landscapes etc - are they available for K10D and any idea on the costs.

Feedback/comments are appreciated while I try and locate one in a local photo store (no luck finding one so far)?

TIA
Brendan
BrenCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:41 PM   #2
TDN

BrenCam wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone used manual focus lenses with K10D - is the viewfinder bright/large enough to allow manual focus in moderate light? Any feedback on this is appreciated - FWIW I've been disappointed with the VF of older DSLR's (e.g. Nikon D70 etc.) so I've held off on buying till now.
Manual focus is where Pentax shines if you ask me. You have full light metering with all lenses, even M42 screw mount lenses.

see here for more info on that subject.

Focusing works perfectly even with the pentamirror on the *ist DL, the pentaprism on the K10D should be even better.

As for your question: What you spend that 1000$ is up to you. You could either get a whole bunch of good older lenses, or you could get 1 or 2 good new ones. All depends on where your priorities as a photographer lie.

Welcome to the forum!

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 6:27 PM   #3

welcome to the forum Brendan
i've seen some great reviews and imagesabout the 17-70. i'd go for it before the 16-45..
as far as the viewfinder goes, pentax has the best. why do you think N* & C* use a ''pentaprism''.. i shoot the DS and use about 11 lenses. the only AF i have is the kit lens that is very under rated. it's probably the best of all the others offered. most of the older glass i have can be had for <200usd and it performs excellently. nice bright VF with 95%+ coverage..
when i upgrade all of these will be IS lenses without having to purchase it for extra $$ when it's included in the lens..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 6:58 PM   #4

Hi - welcome to the group!

I have the K100 so can't help on the body items, however on the lens question, the kit (18-55) lens is slightly better (and faster) than the 16-45 (and I hate to say that - I have both). So with the kit being about $50 more than just the body at B&H, and the 16-45 running $400 also at B&H, I would either go with the kit or take Roy's suggestion on the 17-70.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

I will say, that for the price, your going to be hard pressed to do better than the kit lens - especially right off the bat. All in all, people have been very impressed with the kit lens, and it appears to be the sleeper when compared to all of the other kit lens (C, N, etc.) available.

Also the MSRP on the Sigma 17-70 is in the $500 range (~$430 street), so in comparison, the kit is a reasonable bargin - to start off with. Old lens are very available, but they are not as cheap as they once were - see evil bay and KEH.com

Also, even with a manual lens, the body's auto focus capability is active and will indicate when you are in focus (according to its logic), so even with a manual lens, you get an AF assist.

Hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:40 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum!

Since you are asking for opinions about lenses - I have 4 lenses that live in my camera bag pretty much all of the time. Two are manual focus/auto exposure (my macro lens and my long, 300mm telephoto)and two are AF lenses, my two walk-around lenses (the kit lens and the DA*50-135). At the moment I have two others that I was using for a party this weekend and haven't quite bothered to take out of it, which are fast manual primes. I've used manual focus lenses on the DS, K100 and K10 - I haven't had a problem with any of the cameras, but do find the K10's viewfinderbigger and easier than either of the others.

Here'san example of a pictureI tookwith a manual lens (SMC M 24mm 2.8, one of my faster primes). It'sthe pictureI took when I first got my walk-about lens, the DA 50-135:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:13 PM   #6

all well and good but i still have a problem with ''made for digital lenses, aps-c''.....
eventually(who knows--years??) they will not be supported on a FF sensor cam..
just my 2ΒΆ

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:24 PM   #7

i use a manual (50mm f1.7) lens all the time on my K10D and have no problems with it
it even beeps when it is in focus, and i sure do like the old fashioned f stop ring with the f positions marked on it and a depth of field scale

i also use a couple of cheap screw mounts quite often and these can even be used with aperture priority, and a beep when in focus (plus a screw mount 400mm lens with shake reduction!!! )

the viewfinder compares well with my old K1000

i have no idea how it compares to N***n though as i have never used one

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:25 PM   #8

Hi and welcome!

Only thing I can add to what have been said above is: when LBA kicks in, go for quality glass and build your collection slowly rather than buying every cheapo in sight. I've got some of the best Pentax lenses (mostly manual focus) and I hardly ever use the more conveninent AF zooms I've also got. Seems like you have the same approach. And when it comes to Pentax at least (don't know about other brands) newer seldom means better.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:55 AM   #9

After rebate B&H has the K10d with kit lens for $699-really good price. The DA 40 2.8 Ltd is $219 after rebate-IMHO this would be a great starting point. BTW the K10d kit also includes a 2 gig SD card.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 8:47 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
all well and good but i still have a problem with ''made for digital lenses, aps-c''.....
eventually(who knows--years??) they will not be supported on a FF sensor cam..
just my 2ΒΆ

roy
It can be done but with a bit of a limitation with the upcoming Nikon D3. Shoots FF but can use the DX lenses as well but, at 5mp setting.

That being the case I am sure that trend will continue even with Pentax.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote