Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:53 PM   #1

This is part of a picture I took last weekend up in the Chilterns.

It's the jpg straight out of the camera. Up until now my post-processing has been limited to messing around with brightness and contrast. But this weekend I thought - it's about time I tried messing with the RAW. So, I played with this shot of a church tower but none of the results seemed any good. Then I tried B&W. So, what you think?

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:35 PM   #2

The black and white is nice - it looks like it was hazy in the first shot, while the b&w has more contrast. What program did you use for your conversion?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:36 PM   #3

these are pretty soft or as H said, maybe it's a hazy day.
once you start shooting raw you will discover how nice it is. also the delete key will get a better workout as you'll just start keeping only the absolute best of the shoot. i really like to shoot in burst and pick the best later.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:26 PM   #4

Burst.. you whacky K10 owners and your actual burst modes:roll:

RAW is pretty wonderful if for notheing more than the lattitude afforded for post processing correction. There's a lot more room to manuever before you make a printable version of your image.

But don't give up on photos that seem 'lost', the jpg you have there looks like it was taken in very hazy conditions and I don't know how you'd save it on film, but even jpegs have life after capture, just not as much as a RAW (and NOTHING beats RAWs for compensating for having the wrong white balance)

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 2:31 PM   #5

Despite it being an English October Sunday it was still very hazy. I took quite a few photos but they all needed sharpening. That said I think my Sigma is probably quite soft at 300mm. I did the tweaking in Silkypix.

I wanted to minimise the clutter in the picture and concentrate on the church but the field behind the steeple seemed so boring when compared to the foreground; hence the conversion to B&W.

As for the delete key, I must be more ruthless. Obviously the completely out of focus and incorrectly exposed shots do tend to disappear fairly quickly but I am a sucker for keeping the rest. Oh well, disk (and the DVD for backup) is cheap.
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote