Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:31 PM   #1

I read a few tutorials on HDR and gave it a try this past rainy Saturday morning.

K100D, 18-55mm Kit lens, Manfrotto tripod, 5 frames, +2 to -2 EV in 1 EV increments, no flash. I wanted to see the impact with a number of different light sources; natural light coming in the windows, tungsten floods over the fireplace, flourescent bulbs in the table lamps. I used Photo Impact 12 free trialversion whcih gave similar results to Photomatix free trial version (without the watermarkings). I also tried it with PS CS2 but I wasn't able to match the effect. Comments? Other HDR software s****tions?
Attached Images

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:37 PM   #2

This is out the of the camera shot without any+/-exposure.
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:12 PM   #3

Hmmm - I wouldn't have thought of using HDR for a shot like this. The results you got are much richer than the one without any exposure compensation. It's very nice, and definitely shows that you can make good use of HDR in more places than just outside. You are making my head spin with ideas!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:48 AM   #4

Nice, no - great first attempt.

I've got the same problem with photoshop, I never get the same result as in photomatix.

On the other hand photoshop does a better generating of the hdr image (before tone mathing) if the images are not aligned completly.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:42 AM   #5

I'd never have thought of HDRs for indoor use, but I think the result you have there is really very impressive. The multiple light sources/types make for some very intersting tonal changes that obviously can't be captured in the single exposure, the richness of some of the objects, like the quilt, are wonderful.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:57 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sorry for sounding ingnorant, but what does HDR stand for:?

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:42 PM   #7

HDR = High Dynamic Range.

I'm no expert, I just found the concept on these forums recently and did a google search, downloaded some trial software and tried it out.

In contrasty scenes - from bright sunlight to deep shadows or inside (Like mine) where bright outdoor light is coming through a window - a camera's lens is not quite like a human eye; it has limited dynamic range to get the highlights and shadows correct in one exposure. So the idea behind HDR is to take several exposures around the base exposure that the camera chooses - like in my case +2 to -2 EV in 1 EV increments. The idea is to only vary the shutter speed; keep the aperature constant so your depth of field does not change in each frame. You will need a tripod to get the exact same framing in each of the 5 shots.

HDR software then merges the 5 frames into one HDR image, resulting in highlights that aren't blown out (from the underexposed frames), and shadows that reveal the detail (fromoverexposed frames). Then you can tweak different settings (tone mapping - whatever that means) to get the desired effect.

You don't have to use 5 shots, I guess you can get buy with 3.

It was a fun thing to do on a rainy day. But the dramatic shots I have seen are in outdoor scenes where there is a stormy sky and bright fall foliage in the foreground.

It's interesting that with all the hi-tech development of cameras and lenses, we still can'tcreate what God didwith thehuman eye and brainin "one frame".
Old Oct 29, 2007, 2:12 PM   #8

Nice try. It certainly looks good without that cartoon-like look that many HDR images have.

I tried something similar recently with Photomatix but without actually having separate exposures of the same frame. I had one shot in RAW and saved about 3 versions of it in Jpeg: +1, 0 and -1 EV. Combined those and although the benefit is small, it did make a difference and most importantly it looked realistic.

Something to add: one Nikon guy from the local photo club presented us once how he did a real estate photo shoot for a local magazine. It was this mansion with a big open space with a lake view. He shot hundreds of exposures with a wide lens on tripod. Picked the best exposures, combined them and the result was pretty impressive and realistic, as perceived by our eyes (I mean brain). Both the interior and the lake out the windows were properly exposed.
In this case the effort was quite worth it since would definitely help sell the house.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 5:18 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Wow...that's some complicates stuff! Thanks for the explanations.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:37 PM   #10

It might sound complicated Jelpee but Photomatix makes it very simple and does all the work.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote