Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2007, 3:37 PM   #11

Firstly, I would like to Thank you all for taking time to answer my questions, seeing the info I'm pretty much back to go with the Pentax system, especially taking the present price and the features into consideration. Coming to my photography I'm just an amatuer, I will be taking intra-oral pictures using a ring flash.
Can anyone suggest a good macro lens (1:1) to which I can attach the ring flash,also sharing their experiences here will be great. Thank you all once again.

Kriss

kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:12 PM   #12

kriss, i just bumper the ''flash thread''. good reading if you have the evening.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 9:14 PM   #13

As far as macro 1:1 lenses - there are several available. I happen to have bought a Vivitar Series One 105mm macro that I love, but it's manual focus/auto exposure (doesn't bother me, but it could bother others). Every so often you'll see theLester Dine (Kiron)dental lenses for sale (they are the same as the Kiron/Vivitar S1 105mmmacro lens but it has marks connected to dental photos on it instead of ratio to subject). They are outstanding lenses if you can pick one up, but are also manual focus (not sure if there's an auto exposure version). Since you are talking about intra-oral photos you might find one very useful - something to keep an eye out for on ebay.

For more modern lenses - the Pentax 100mm macro has an excellent reputation, the Phoenix is quite good for very little money, but it comes with a matched adaptor that allows it to do 1:1. If you buy one used, make sure they sell the adaptor with it. The samples I've seen taken with Tamron's 90mm macro lens is also outstanding, all of them are capable of 1:1 (Sigma makes one, too). You'd have lots of options available.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:21 PM   #14

Thanks a lot for the info...now I gotta get into the search mode to get a good macro lens....saw the vivitar ring flash on amazon....hope it goes well with the pentax....

Kriss
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:34 PM   #15

A small update....just ordered my pentax 10d with kit lens...but looks like amazon is gonna take quite sometime to ship.....Thanks once again...for everyone !!!

Kriss
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:27 AM   #16

Coming to my previous question about MACRO LENS, can the smc pentax DA 70mm f2.4 lens be used with 1:1 ratio, I want to buy a lens with AF so tht I can use it even for the portrats...
Thank you

Kriss
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:45 PM   #17

The DA 70 is not a 1:1 macro lens. You could add extension tubes to achieve the 1:1 ratio, but you will probably end up losing AF unless you spend a small fortune. I believe Kenko makes some that will maintain AF but are in the in $150 neighborhood.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:40 AM   #18

Thank you Ishino, after doing all the so called research I was convinced that the Tamron 90mm macro would meet my requirements, ordered it yesterday ...can't wait for it now,

Kriss
ishino wrote:
Quote:
The DA 70 is not a 1:1 macro lens. You could add extension tubes to achieve the 1:1 ratio, but you will probably end up losing AF unless you spend a small fortune. I believe Kenko makes some that will maintain AF but are in the in $150 neighborhood.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:00 PM   #19

kriss wrote:
Quote:
Hellooo...

Like everybody I'm one of those confused souls unable to decide about my next upgrade from point & shoot to slr camera....I have been going through all the reviews and the comments made in this forum and decided to go with the Nikon D80, but after further study I found that Pentax K10D has some excellent reviews and with the current price its a steal...., when I almost made up my mind to go with pentax, I was told that the FLASH is not really that great....this somehow made a setback..so I would like some feedback about this.....any info about this is appreciated.

Thank you

Kriss
Kriss
This should clarify a lot of your understanding

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...26&forum_id=58

It was D80 compared with Pentax

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:14 PM   #20

Thank you so much for posting the link Daniel, now this re-enusres me that I did the right thing going with the k10 D.

Kriss