Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:31 PM   #11

A series lenses shouldn't give you this horrible a shot, unless there's something drastically wrong with them (and it doesn't sound like there is). If you don't see any improvement with resetting the default values, I'd take it back. You could also try taking out the batteries and putting them back in - some people have experienced exposure differences when their batteries are low. However, in your case I would beVERY surprised if it made any difference (you have far more problems going on than just overexposure), but it's a simple thing to try.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 6:09 PM   #12

If the camera is using auto WB and the lens is used without a filter then there is deffinitly something wrong with the default settings of the White Balance. Either return for a new one or send it to Pentax for warranty repair. Just my opinion here.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 7:09 PM   #13

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
If the camera is using auto WB and the lens is used without a filter then there is deffinitly something wrong with the default settings of the White Balance. Either return for a new one or send it to Pentax for warranty repair. Just my opinion here.
On second thought, it should never be like this even with a filthy filter. Definitely defective

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 7:24 PM   #14

I can't imagine if I had results like that when I opened my K100D, first day without even reading the instructions or adjusting any settings it was producing very nice images. It looks like the software is completely out to lunch in your camera
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:52 AM   #15

OK. I did some experimenting this weekend. Resetting the camera to defaults had a positive effect. I can get fairly good images by simply dropping the exposure one f-stop for indoor shots and outdoor closeups. Outdoor "landscape-type" shots are still overexposed and yellowish, however. Any shot into the sun was really washed out. Manually adjusting the white balance actually seemed to make the problem worse. Filter on/off did not make a noticeable difference.

I could probably keep fiddling with it and work out the problems, but the camera appears to have a white balance problem in bright light, as suggested by most of the responders here. Since I take 2000-3000 photos of outdoor sporting events every year, it is not productive to be constantly adjusting on the camera or with software.

Unfortunately, the place of purchase (Broadway Photo) has a 7-day return policy. I was outside this window before I noticed the problem. I can not recommend Broadway for this reason. I am skeptical that a warranty repair would find and reslove the problem. So, I guess I am stuck with it. After rebate, I am only out about $300. Could have been worse.

Thanks for all your help!

Benny
bsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:27 PM   #16

Hi Benny,

I'd try contacting the store and talking to a manager. Tell them that it just spontaneously started to give you these strange exposures after the return period ended. Some stores will make exceptions to their stated policies for good will's sake, and you have nothing to lose for trying. I would be very understanding and benign in the call, but see if there is any way that they might be able to resolve you problem. If they won't bend, then just accept it and get in contact with Pentax service.

The most it will cost would be shipping there. They will contact you (or not, depending on what they choose to do). If there is no defect, they will reset it, install any firmware updates that might be available, and send it back at their cost, and if here is a problem found, they will probably just replace the whole body. There is no way you should just take the loss on this.

Scott

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:35 PM   #17

No way!!!, I agree with Snostorm on this 110%.

Call the store and give it a go, if no luck, then contact Pentax for warranty repair.

This camera is not right :? and you are doing yourself a big disfavour by not getting it corrected and enjoying what a Pentax camera can do, which is take great pictures.
:|:|:|:|

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:49 PM   #18
Administrator

bsharp wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the place of purchase (Broadway Photo) has a 7-day return policy. I was outside this window before I noticed the problem. I can not recommend Broadway for this reason. I am skeptical that a warranty repair would find and reslove the problem. So, I guess I am stuck with it. After rebate, I am only out about $300. Could have been worse.
Are you sure about that (only out $300)? I'd check your credit card statements carefully (check out the complaints made to the BBB about unauthorized charges at the link below). Here's a quote:

Quote:
Consumers also reported unauthorized charges on their invoices. When trying to dispute such charges, consumers report difficulty talking to management, claiming they are verbally abused by the company's staff.
I'd also check to make sure the camera was intended for sale in the country you live in. Pentax can probably tell by the serial number. Some manufacturers are pretty picky about gray market gear (refusing to honor rebates, and in some cases, refusing to service the cameras at all, even if you are willing to pay for the service).

Broadway's reputation is not exactly the best. ;-)

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/b...1&id=68047

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:19 PM   #19

Sadly, I think what might of happened is that they sent you a used camera and packed it as new. There are many shady dealers out there and broadway photo is one of them.

http://www.resellerratings.com linked by JimC is a good link to go by when buying anything online. That store is rated 2.9/10.

Unless if you can get Pentax to fix it, I doubt you will get any help from broadway photo. Is the serial number still on the camera?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:13 PM   #20

bsharp, Hadn't seen your post until just now. But, wanted to let you know that I initially had color problems with my K100 when I first got it August 2006. It had been the store model (they only had it two days before I bought it) and someone had changed the settings. I set back to the defaults and it solved that color problem. I see that you've done that with some success.

I also was recently having problems with the camera exposures being way off. Too dark or too light. No rhyme or reason that I could see except that it was usually soon before my batteries (rechargeable NiMH's) were dying. I was getting close to the warranty date and sent it to Pentax. They shipped it back saying they didn't do anything to it and found nothing wrong with it. But recommended I use different batteries. I use the Sanyo Hybrid (like Eneloop) 2100mAh. They recommended using at least 2500 mAh.

I haven't switched to higher mAh batteries, but do top them off much more often than before. Haven't had a problem since. Do, you may want to just try a different type of battery. They recommended to me using the CRV3's (not rechargeable ones). Those are what I had been using before purchasing the rechargeables and been very successful with them getting at least 700 shots out of each set.

Anyway, probably doesn't help you much. But, thought I'd let you know my experience with mine and having shipped it to Pentax recently.

Good luck. Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote