Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2007, 1:25 PM   #1

Hello all. I have recently purchased a K100D and am very displeased with the photos I have taken so far. The main reason I purchased the K100 is my experience with Pentax SLRs dating back 30 years and having compatible lenses, flashes, etc. So, I bought the body only.

I have probably taken 400 photos with the camera. Almost every photo is overexposed and lacks sharpness. The reds also seem to be oversaturated. Outdoor photos are worse than indoor. I have used both a Pentax 28-80 and a Sigma 35-80 lens (with UV filters). I can put it into Program mode and adjust saturation and sharpness and get reasonably good photos, but they are not as clear as ones I take with my Nikon 5700. I have attached an example photo taken in unadjusted Auto (Green) mode. The exposure was 1/350s at F8 and 80mm. I purposely picked one of the worst exposures to show the problems I am having. I also had to compress it for attachment.

[img]file:///F:/Sub%20on%20Sharks%20-%20Anniston/IMGP1010.JPG[/img][img]file:///F:/Sub%20on%20Sharks%20-%20Anniston/IMGP1010.JPG[/img]I have a Nikon 5700 digital point-and-shoot camera and three Pentax film SLRs with which I have taken thousands of good photos. So, I do not think it is my photography skills. Are these known issues with the K100 or do I have a camera with a bad sensor? How can I tell?

Thanks,
Benny

Attached Images

bsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:37 PM   #2

What was the white balance set on? I got this by using auto levels, auto contrast and auto color in Photoshop 7.0. The white balance seems to be set at too much yellow.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:49 PM   #3

Hi Benny,

I assume that you're using an A series lens or later -- with the lens aperture ring set to the "A" setting. If not, set the aperture ring to "A" and try it again. If it's set correctly, and your aperture blades are "snappy",
I'd suggest that you reset the settings to default through the menu (there's a single menu choice to do this, but not having a K100, I can't tell you exactly where), then try it again. Make sure your WB is set to Auto, and shoot some outdoors daylight stuff. If it still overexposes and shows wierd color cast, then try setting the WB manually using any white or grey surface to set it. If the custom WB looks good, then I'd say you need to return the camera because it has something faulty with the WB. If you bought it at a brick and mortar store, bring a lens, and using your present battery, try a few exposures at the store before accepting the replacement. If not, send it back, then do the reset thing before trying the new body.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:07 PM   #4

Dawg,
Thanks for the response. WB was set on Auto because it can not be changed in AutoPict (Green) mode. Flash and ISO are the only settings that can be changed in AutoPict mode.

Changing to Program (P) mode and setting the white balance to "sunny" doesn't seem to make much difference. For example, here is a shot that I just took out my office door with the WB set to sunny. It is still overexposed and fuzzy.

Any other suggestions?

Benny
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:41 PM   #5

These aren't known issues - I have never had anything close to that with mine or anyone else I know who has the K100. If you want to make sure that it is the camera and not some other influence, take the UV filters off the lenses and see if that makes a difference. Put the camera in P mode (after doing the reset, as Scott suggested) and see if there's a difference between it and auto.

It might make a difference which type of lenses you are using. I never had exposure issues with manual lenses and my K100 (as long as I remembered to push the button to meter), but did have some overexposure with the K10. So if your lenses are old manual ones, there could be something with them. However, unless your lenses had some significant problems with them, the white balance shouldn't be so off-looking.

If it were mine, and resetting it back to default didn't work, I'd be either returning the camera or sending it into Pentax for repair - what you posted is NOT normal.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 6:56 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
These aren't known issues - I have never had anything close to that with mine or anyone else I know who has the K100.* If you want to make sure that it is the camera and not some other influence, take the UV filters off the lenses and see if that makes a difference.* Put the camera in P mode (after doing the reset, as Scott suggested) and see if there's a difference between it and auto.
I would second the solution. Get that filter off and set to P instead of the green mode.

Would bsharp also set the lens just off a bit from the extreme end too. I have no clue why everybody do their test shots at the extreme focal length of their lens. But that should not be the reason of the vast distortion

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:36 PM   #7
TDN

Hello Benny,

on sunny days, you could try to pres the AE-L button and change the exposure compensation to -1.0

Shooting in RAW is always a good way to check whether it's the camera or the settings that are faulty...

I hope you can solve this, issues with the K100D are very rare...haven't seen too many complaints.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:45 PM   #8

A note about "fuzzy" pictures - all dSLR cameras take pictures that are somewhat softer than most point and shoot cameras. The main reason is that it's easy to add sharpness through software (or in-camera settings) but almost impossible to get rid of sharpnes you don't want. I think all dSLR manufacturers set their default settings a little less, to allow you to process them to your taste and intention for each picture. However, that doesn't explain why you are getting strange white balance and exposure problems. Did taking off the UV filters make a difference (they can add softness, too, by the way)?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:32 AM   #9

I have never seen images like that out of a camera before.

I don't have the K100D, I have the DL and the K10D, but make sure the image quality is set to maximum and not some lower * or ** setting.

Otherwise take it back.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:15 PM   #10

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I am using A-series lenses, and I did try shots w/o the filter and at different focal lengths. No appreciable difference.

I did not think of resetting a new camera to defaults. I will try this and the other suggestions. Too busy today to experiment, but I will let the forum know what happens.

Benny