Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2007, 8:48 PM   #1

I have found out just yesterday about that they were using their beak almost as a spear to kill .
Unbelievable when I saw that. Also afterwards it was grinding/sharpening its beak against rocks for subsequent hunt. Unreal.
Sorry about the back light. I have just ordered a Pro1 CP filter. Hope it is decent as I have not had much luck with filter at all

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2007, 7:53 AM   #2

Daniel, it is gruesome way to go, but then again being swallowed doesn't sound to great either! No matter, you still take wonderful pictures that are a pleasure to view!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel, it is gruesome way to go, but then again being swallowed doesn't sound to great either!*
Hi Daniel,

My first thought also -- I think that I'd choose a quick spear to a slow digestion. . . but luckily I haven't encountered any man-eating birds. . . yet. . . :O)

I've noticed the spearing too, and still am amazed at how accurate these birds are in their fishing, and how adept they are at repositioning the fish to swallow. It all happens so fast that you actually need the photographs to see how it really happens.

I'm surprised that a catfish that large would be in water that appears to be so shallow. The GBH must have been pleased.

Good work at getting the exposure right for what looks like pretty tough lighting. Congrats on a very good capture.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 1:05 PM   #4

daniel,
you should have named this thread

''Catfish Gets the Point''

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:01 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
daniel,
you should have named this thread

''Catfish Gets the Point''

roy
Roy, only one word fits that quote, "groan!"
:-)
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 5:17 PM   #6

Quote:
snostorm wrote:

My first thought also -- I think that I'd choose a quick spear to a slow digestion. . . but luckily I haven't encountered any man-eating birds. . . yet. . . :O)

I've noticed the spearing too, and still am amazed at how accurate these birds are in their fishing, and how adept they are at repositioning the fish to swallow. It all happens so fast that you actually need the photographs to see how it really happens.

Good work at getting the exposure right for what looks like pretty tough lighting. Congrats on a very good capture.

Scott
Scott

Definitely it is spearing and not simple grapping by the beak. To grab a slippery scaly fish going through rapid water is just impossible.

This fellow (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zhao888 ) has confirmed beyond doubt what was happening

Quote:
I'm surprised that a catfish that large would be in water that appears to be so shallow. The GBH must have been pleased.
I took the first pict a few seconds after the fish was pierced in slightly deeper water

Gross.

Daniel
Old Nov 1, 2007, 6:56 PM   #7

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Scott

To grab a slippery scaly fish going through rapid water is just impossible.
i've got to disagree. we went fishing once at the low side of a spill way. the water was turned off and below the darn was a wasteland of rivelets about 4'' deep. they were full of catfish and we just walked around in them catching 1lb catfish for a couple of hours by hand. many times you could get 1 in each hand. after filleting we ended up with a little over 30 pounds of fillets. i think i smelled like fish for a week afterwards but the fried catfish sure was good.

roy
dan: that last shot is superb....
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:02 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Scott

To grab a slippery scaly fish going through rapid water is just impossible.
i've got to disagree. we went fishing once at the low side of a spill way. the water was turned off and below the darn was a wasteland of rivelets about 4'' deep. they were full of catfish and we just walked around in them catching 1lb catfish for a couple of hours by hand. many times you could get 1 in each hand. after filleting we ended up with a little over 30 pounds of fillets.
I am talking about a GBH using its beak to grab a fish . You have 5 fingers . Try it with 2 fingers and you will know. Actually I have found out that for larger fish they spear with full force meant to pierce and kill the subject.

After it stomached the whole thing, it went over to sharpen his beak by rubbing against hard surface.

Daniel