Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:46 PM   #11

Hi Sai,

For a tripod, I'd look at Amvona on ebay. They ship worldwide, but you'd have to contact them to find the shipping cost to India first to know what to expect in that regard, but whatever it is, the final price will probably be worth it.

Here's a thread where their tripods and bidding strategies are discussed:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...m_id=80&page=1

I'd look at the carbon fiber models (for light weight and stability) with 4 leg sections, and pay particular attention to the folded length. I'd imagine that you'd want something under 24" folded for packability (is that a word?). Figure under $100 USD for a CF tripod before shipping.

I'd also recommend the Amvona ATH-A01 or ATH-A02 ball heads. They are both very solid and lightweight, and have separate knobs for panning, ball lock, and ball tension when unlocked. They use Arca/Swiss compatible QR plates which are pretty much the standard for pro-level tripod heads. I've got one A02 and two A01s, and won them at between $12 and $16 before shipping. Equivalent "name brand" heads usually start at about 20 times the prices I paid.

If you want smaller still, you'll lose some max height, and stability, but I've had some experience with the Velbon Ultra Maxi and Slik Pro 340 DX Titanium. Both are very compact folded, very light (under 3 lbs), and are all-metal construction at the hinges for durability (You really want to stay away from tripods with any plastic in the hinges at least -- they'll break on you at the least opportune times). These are nowhere near as stable or tall as my Amvonas, but I don't have to worry about folded size as I carry them in the trunk of my car and wanted ultra stable for the very heavy tele lenses that I use most of the time.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:47 PM   #12

Sai,

Welcome aboard from another biker. Actually I was home last month and got to ride my bike for the first time in a year. Poor thing had been in storage all that time.

I cannot see all pictures posted on this forum, my agency's server blocks some sites, so I am not sure what bike you ride.

I am sure they have some lovely Royal Enfields over there.

I work internationally and recently worked with a lovely gentleman form India, forget the stereotypes here. :G

We interested in one thing and one thing only, .....:|:| taking photos.

I haven't been to India, but I have some some wonderful images from there. You have some amazing areas to photograph and show us.

Ride safe brother.

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:53 PM   #13

Sai...20BHP is great in that is is economical to operate and should be inexpensive to maintain. My Magna took quite a bit of money to maintain and was a lot more powerful than was needed. Hope you can find that Stealth Tripod you want...I could see how it might be and advertisement to the wrong type of people...Here is a photo from 1989 or 1990 of my oldest Grandson on my Magna. He is now 18 years old and could drive it if I still had the bike. LOL

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:56 AM   #14

Hi John. Thanks for the bikepod tip. But Indian roads are'nt as smooth as you guess. I'll loose my K10D internals within a couple of kilometers of riding... Neways, bikers dont like highways... its always the 'other' route that thrills me.

You must have seen a lot of green and brown patches of earth below. But i guess i would have seen only green, green and white (snow) if i flew over your beautiful country.

mtngal. You made me wonder for the first time.... IS THE KIT LENS WEATHER PROOF like the costly 16-50 mm ones? I learnt my lesson with the FX-01. Hope that my cameras will not see water that close again... except on a telephoto maybe.

Scott. You've given me enough material to last for the entire week :-)Thank you. Will make a informed choice now.

Bikers, this is ma ride :-) (crashman, i hope this pic gets through you company server). Dawg, a bike like the one you've postedwould bedream come true for me.

no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:25 PM   #15

no_nonsense4857 wrote:
Quote:
Hi John. Thanks for the bikepod tip. But Indian roads are'nt as smooth as you guess.
:lol: I am afraid I failed to make my idea clear, I was thinking of having something fixed to the bikeso that when it is on the stand youhave something steady toattach your camera to.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:10 PM   #16

For the roads you travel that bike is a good one. Bikes like my Magna don't do so well on rough terain!

Dawg
Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:46 PM   #17

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
:lol: I am afraid I failed to make my idea clear, I was thinking of having something fixed to the bikeso that when it is on the stand youhave something steady toattach your camera to.
Wow, nice idea John. Never visualized my bike to be a stationary one :lol:.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 1:12 AM   #18

Hi Pentaxians

Its been a year n a half since i posted this thread. Was very happy being welcomed so warmly here.

I came in search of information for the K10D and by the time i decided to purchse it.... its not there in the market anymore. Was a phase when i was disconnected from the internet world.

Priorities changed, liquidity went into my other interest... bikes.

My new ride.

I was determined to own and enjoy a DSLR after my last road trip. My small camera just could not capture the beauty of nature- my eye was looking at. My dielemma was that i just could not afford enough to even buy a K200D

I am no worshipper of pixel count, and my only search filter for a DSLR was 6 mega pixels. My guess was that it should be a lot cheap since a 6 MP sensorshould be approachingits end of life period and yes i had only one answer the Nikon D40.

Purchased it yesterday! Happy to hold a DSLR yet sad to post the news here since istill cannot participate here (do themonthly theme based competitions still happen?)

Rules arerules, and i should not be posting any picture or query about a D40 here,so i am going to miss this forumatleast until i dont own what i really desired, a Pentax.

Hope to say a hi once a while to you all on the other forums here.

Warm regards andlotsof thanks for everything.

Sai.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:03 AM   #19

no_nonsense4857 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Pentaxians

Its been a year n a half since i posted this thread. Was very happy being welcomed so warmly here.

I came in search of information for the K10D and by the time i decided to purchse it.... its not there in the market anymore. Was a phase when i was disconnected from the internet world.

Priorities changed, liquidity went into my other interest... bikes.

My new ride.

I was determined to own and enjoy a DSLR after my last road trip. My small camera just could not capture the beauty of nature- my eye was looking at. My dielemma was that i just could not afford enough to even buy a K200D

I am no worshipper of pixel count, and my only search filter for a DSLR was 6 mega pixels. My guess was that it should be a lot cheap since a 6 MP sensorshould be approachingits end of life period and yes i had only one answer the Nikon D40.

Purchased it yesterday! Happy to hold a DSLR yet sad to post the news here since istill cannot participate here (do themonthly theme based competitions still happen?)

Rules arerules, and i should not be posting any picture or query about a D40 here,so i am going to miss this forumatleast until i dont own what i really desired, a Pentax.

Hope to say a hi once a while to you all on the other forums here.

Warm regards andlotsof thanks for everything.

Sai.
Nice ride there and a very good choice for a camera. I hope both give you years of enjoyment.

Dawg