Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:42 AM   #11

Hi Bowenp,

I'm gonna sound like your mom, but I'd open a camera fund account, add extra money when you can afford it, and wait for the extreme deals to present themselves, and then you'll have money to take advantage of them.

Nikon and Canon owners can just go out and find just about everything they want, and if they can afford it, they can just buy it. A lot of the time, Pentax owners have to wait for some of the good stuff to become available, and if they aren't ready for them, they have to go into a hole to afford them or pass.

You have a good camera body, and a couple of pretty competent lenses covering a pretty wide range of focal lengths with just a little gap. If you haven't felt too limited in what you can do with them, then maybe you shouldn't upgrade just for the sake of it, because you can afford it now. Just biding your time might work to your advantage.

If you really want to get something now (believe me, I know how that is), consider maybe a fast 50, or a MF dedicated macro -- something that you will be able to use right away and have fun learning to get best effects from, and put the rest away. Get a good one, but try for a great deal. Your money will go farther, and you'll end up with more gear in the long run.

I'd love to help you spend your money -- it's fun. . .
but I've promised myself to be the voice of reason at least once every ten years, and now I don't have to worry about it for a good long while. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 1:17 AM   #12

Thanks all. Great Info. I believe the glass is theway I am leaning.

I got to tell you though I love the thought of owning the 10D.Love the look and feel but glass is so important.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:45 AM   #13

I can understand the draw of the K10 - definitely well worth getting now that the prices are down. I keep forgetting about the SR, I take it for granted now. It means I can use a 300mm lens handheld,before I could only use 200mm in really good light with the DS. So I could see putting the K10 first if you have trouble with camera shake, like I do.

I think Scott's advice is the best. Decide what "holes" you have in your current lens/camera set-up and then save to fill them with good buys. That means more work, too, trying to find those good buys but it will be worth it in the long run.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 4:29 PM   #14

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I can understand the draw of the K10 - definitely well worth getting now that the prices are down. I keep forgetting about the SR, I take it for granted now. It means I can use a 300mm lens handheld,before I could only use 200mm in really good light with the DS. So I could see putting the K10 first if you have trouble with camera shake, like I do.

I think Scott's advice is the best. Decide what "holes" you have in your current lens/camera set-up and then save to fill them with good buys. That means more work, too, trying to find those good buys but it will be worth it in the long run.
I hear you about the SR. I get so many more useable photos now. I used to have steady hands, but now mine shake bad. Must be age or lack of good drugs or something lol. But SR REALLY helps. It doesn't make all the pics sharp, I still get some blurry ones, but it sure does cut down on them. And I wouldn't even bother with longer glass without it. It doesn't keepme from taking bad pics, but it sure helps putme in a position to take better ones. I LOVE in camera SR. It's the one thing the boys from C and N DON'T have.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote