Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:25 PM   #1

Hey all I've decided on a Promaster 7500EDF for my K10D but they are not out yet. In the mean time I will be going to grand cayman for a wedding so I'll need something in the mean time. When searching ebay there are plenty of really cheap-o flashes but I'm not sure what will get me by and what will be total crap. Could someone suggest a cheap (well under $100) flash until the Promaster comes out? I've searched but I'm so confused by all the data on flashes.

Also, where is a good place to buy the promaster when it comes out?

Thanks,

n
nixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:30 PM   #2

why not get the sigma 500super or the sigma 530?? it's a more known flash and is available at about the same price.. i've had the 500super for a year and it performs very well.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:58 PM   #3

robar wrote:
Quote:
why not get the sigma 500super or the sigma 530?? it's a more known flash and is available at about the same price.. i've had the 500super for a year and it performs very well.
so I've looked into the flahes you mention but I can't quite figure out the difference with a few things... sigma 500 super vs sigma 500 st. and what does the 530 offer over the 500?

Thanks, i'm liking what i see so far though.

n
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:22 PM   #4

you'll just have to make the comrarisons. all the info is on sigmas site. just open 3 small windows for each item. kind of like this.

roy
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:43 PM   #5
Administrator

If you don't mind usng Manual Exposure and setting the Aperture and ISO speed on the camera to match the selected Auto Range on a flash, you can use an old Auto Thryistor type flash. You can usually pick up a non-dedicated Sunpak model at a good price. Make sure to take trigger voltage into consideration when flash shopping:

Trigger Voltage Limits with modern digital cameras

For example, I spent a total of $48 for a flash system to use with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (and that included two flashes and a hotshoe adapter with a PC Sync Port).

* $16 for an adapter from a Hong Kong based vendor to give me an ISO standard hotshoe and PC Sync Port.

* a Sunpak 222 Auto with tilt and two aperture ranges for a smaller flash unit (GN of about 72 feet at ISO 100) for $7 from KEH.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it).

* a Sunpak 333 Auto with tilt, swivel and zoom head with multiple auto aperture ranges, as well as better manual settings (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16). GN runs from 86 feet to 120 feet at ISO 100, depending on the zoom head setting. I got this one for $25 (like new in box in 10 condition from the used department at B&H).

Total Flash System Investment: $48

These are Auto flashes (in the sense that the flash is capable of throttling it's own ouput, based on how much reflected light it sees for the aperture range selected).

So, it's not as tough as it sounds (more of a set and forget in most indoor environments, letting the strobe control the exposure).

My Sunpak 333 Auto has 3 auto ranges. These ranges have different distances from short to long they can be used at. For example, one of the ranges probably runs around 3 to 22 feet at f/5.6 and ISO 200.

So, I just pick a range and set the camera to the same aperture and ISO speed shown for it on the strobe, and let the flash control it's own output within the range selected.

Shutter speed makes no difference for the amount of light the camera is seeing from the flash. That's because the flash burst is very short (my Sunpak 333 Auto will use a flash length of between 1/1200 second and 1/20000 second).

The only reason to vary shutter speed with a flash exposure is either to allow more or less ambient light in, or to make sure shutter speeds are fast enough to prevent motion blur if there is a lot of ambient light contributing.

That's why many cameras simply set the camera to a fixed shutter speed of around 1/60 second when you use the built in flash. It's a compromise setting. The flash burst length is then varied to control the actual exposure.

If you set it to around 1/100 second, that will be fine for the majority of indoor conditions where you'd need a flash if you are using something like ISO 200 and f/5.6. If you're like me, you wouldn't be changing apertures a lot indoors anyway.

In a newer non-dedicated Auto Sunpak, the 383 Super has roughly the same specs as my 333 Auto (except the 383 Super does not come with a zoom head). The 383 Super runs around $70 new.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 2:44 PM   #6

OK, i like the Sigma 500 super but the entire world seems to be out of stock
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:46 PM   #7

Well I've bid on a Vivitar 880AF on ebay. Aparently these are rebranded sigma 500's for $60 sold only in Canada.

thanks for all the advice
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:45 PM   #8

Just recieved my Vivitar 880af! Can't wait to try it out!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:06 PM   #9

nixter wrote:
Quote:
Also, where is a good place to buy the promaster when it comes out?
Promaster flashes can be purchased on line at http://www.onecall.com

I bought the 7500DX for myMinolta from them about 2 years ago. Looks and specs just about the same as the new one. It's a nice flash. I have an AF360FGZ for my K100D and wish I would have waited for the new Promaster to come out. The secondary fill flash is a nice feature when using bounce.Onecall.com is a reputable dealer, fast shipping, no problems.
I assume this is the one you want http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=88469

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:43 PM   #10

Ok, little confused. According to the Promaster site the Promaster 7500EDF is not a P-TTL flash, yet they say it will work with the K10D which is a P-TTL and not a plain TTL camera. What gives?

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote