Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:36 PM   #11

Perfect bird shots.

The detail is amazing.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:08 PM   #12

Hi Harriet,

Great stuff. My favorite is also #4, but they're all very good. The pelican shots are outstanding. I think I would have been a bit intimidated getting that close. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:11 PM   #13

Way to go, Harriet! The expression on that first pelican is priceless!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:14 PM   #14
TDN

wow, these are really nice!

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:20 PM   #15

Ira - I was thinking they were using the Lowepro belt, but didn't get close enough to tell. I really wanted something like that but their small belt was still too big for me.

Scott - I hope you noticed that the pelican was taken with the A*300. It still gets used for birds on occasion, along with the other subjects I happen to take. I did a horrible job with the surfers yesterday, felt like I was letting the lens down because I know it's capable of doing so much better.

I was actually taking general beach pictures and didn't particularly notice the handbag until I looked at the picture on the monitor. I love using the A*300 because so often I find interesting things on the monitor that I hadn't noticed the first time. For instance, I took one of some pelicans flying toward the far cliffs lining the beach. What I could see on the monitor is that the cliffs held all sorts of pelicans - they obviously roost there. I had no idea that they were resident to the area, thought they were just passing through (tells you how little I really know about birds).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:34 AM   #16

Fantastic beach photos! I usually fail to notice the other details about the beach, so it's refreshing to see there's more to the beach than surfers (and beach bunnies).

You speak of clam chowder. Is this clam chowder where I think it's from?

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:12 AM   #17

Yes - thought you might recognize the faded "no overhead casting" sign on the pier and the reference to the Splash Cafe's clam chowder. My surfing pictures were horrible, as were by pelicans in flight (my technique was terrible). Saturday wasn't the best weather either - the brown pelican saved what was otherwise a humbing, frustrating photography experience, though otherwise we had a great time (good clam chowder, the drive along the 166 uneventful, though sad to see all the "closed" signs on the dirt roads leading into the national forest areas).
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:58 AM   #18

Really funny beach shots:-)

Those pelicans could be some really lazy greedy birds sometime.
Here is a a shot of a fish bar in St. Petersburg, Florida I caught this May:

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 2:19 AM   #19

It's a shame I didn't know of your trip to Pismo. I actually considered going to Pismo this past Saturday, but the surf report didn't show good conditions. Hopefully we'll be able to cross paths at the pier someday and make a shoot out of it!

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 9:15 AM   #20

The trip wasn't exactly planned. We've tried the planning business going there and something seems to interfere (one day it was the Santa Ana winds, another time a friend unexpectedly decided to drop by, etc.). If we ever go there for more than a quick lunch/day trip I'll let you know. I did think about you when I saw the guy with the big lens, which turned out to be Nikon. And yes, the surf was uninspired as were the surfers, I think (but not the reason why my pictures were so horrible).