Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:30 PM   #1

I know I've done something wrong, probably disabled the shutter release somehow. I've got my 35-105 Zoom Pentax les (film lens) on the camera. When I press the shutter release button, it goes down, but the shutter doesn't function and I get a little red square flash in the middle of the viewfinder .

I got the camera yesterday, and admittedly am a bit clueless when it comes to new fangled electronic stuff.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks, Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:01 PM   #2

Hi Les,

My first guess it that your lens is the "A" 35-105, and your K10 body is set for Auto Focus (AF-S position). With this body setting, your camera will only fire when in focus, so you have to be able to see a hexagon light up in the viewfinder at the bottom of the frame which indicates the AF system found something in focus in the area of the red square in the viewfinder.

To change the camera to fire whether a focus is found or not, flip the switch just behind the lens on the left to MF (or actually AF-C should work also).

If you leave it on AF-S, you can also fire the camera by holding the shutter button down and manually focusing the lens. As soon as your AF system finds focus, the shutter will fire (this is the "focus trap" feature that quite a few people have discussed on the forum)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:03 PM   #3

Hi Les,

just check the front on the left side if the camera is in manual focus mode, might be that.

I don't know if you've got some lenses that don't have an A coupling, normally i set the camera that it can use the aperture ring.

Menu - press right 4 times - Custom setting, than 4 up's (something as a lot of downs) to using aperture ring, right and select using aperture ring Permitted.

Ronny

(darn to late Scott was first :G )
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:26 PM   #4

snostorm and rhermans,

Thank you, thank you...I followed your directions and the K10D works as it should. I had been puzzling over this for a couple of hours...working through the manual and the read out directions on the camera to no avail.

I'm grateful for your advise.

Les
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:39 PM   #5

Are any of your other lenses K or M lenses? If so, there's a menu setting you need to change to allow the camera to operate with them (set "using aperture ring" to "permitted" - default is not permitted). There's more about using manual lenses, but not changing the menu selection is what gets most when they first get the camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 4:55 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Are any of your other lenses K or M lenses? If so, there's a menu setting you need to change to allow the camera to operate with them (set "using aperture ring" to "permitted" - default is not permitted). There's more about using manual lenses, but not changing the menu selection is what gets most when they first get the camera.
I've got a few screw mount (M42) that I may use...ie; Takumar 135 f3.5 which has always been a nice lens. I also have the 50mm f 1.8 that came with my '74 ES 11. I believe there is an adaptor for about $ 40 Cdn. I have to think about that as these are probably the only screw mounts I would want to use.

I've also got a Takumar (1980's) 28 mm W/A and 50 mm Takumar (also 1980's) Macro that I may try. Both are K mounts and they were cheaper than the Pentax brand , although were a Pentax line. I think they may not have the SMC coating. The 28 W/A has always been a good performer.

When I was trying to figure out why the shutter wouldn't work this morning, I did set the aperture to permitted and put my 35-105 zoom onto the "A" setting.

What other things do I need to do to use my 35-105 A on the K10D, or have I got it covered?

I am thinking of getting the 70-300 Pentax (film) lens to take pix of birds, animals etc. from a distance. This is a fairly cheap lens...don't know how good it is ? Do you have any experience with this lens?

Thanks, Les
Old Nov 4, 2007, 7:13 PM   #7

As far as the A lenses go - the only thing you need to check is the AF/MF control. It has electronic contacts so the camera can control it in any of the various modes.

K or M lenses (K-Mount) lenses don't have contacts, only the lever where the camera stops down the lens when the picture is actually taken. You can use it in two ways - if you want to have the camera stop down the lens you need to use M mode, set the aperture on the lens, then press the green button near the shutter button to temporarily stop down the lens, which lets the camera meter and set the shutter speed. If you are planning on using the lens wide open anyway, you can put the camera in any of the other modes (Av, Tv, P etc.). It won't stop down the lens but it does give you continuous metering. I'll use this if I'm in low light and would be using the lens wide open anyway. When my K10 was new and I was using the 1.0 firmware, the camera tended to overexpose with my manual lenses. That seemed to significantly improve when I updated to the latest firmware version, and now I don't think about it.

I don't have any screw mount lenses, but from what I understand, the adaptor you need means that there's no connection between the camera and the lens at all. So you would either need to focus then stop down the lens, or try to focus when the lens is stopped down, and it can get really dark and difficult to see. By the way, you are right about the Takumar K-mount lenses not having SMC coatings - I have one and it's quite sharp, just suffers quite a bit from flare under certain lighting conditions. I like it enough that I'll pull it out and play with it every so often, even though I have other lenses that cover the same focal length.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote