Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:29 AM   #11

Thank you mtngal, after going through ebay I found a few tripods and ball heads but not sure which one to go with, I am posting the links here so everybody please share your thoughts and experiences

I have Pentax K10 D
1) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=010

2)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=010

3)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=010

4)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=010

So please help me choose the right one, also do suggest any other model if u think is better than these.

Thank you
Kriss
kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:21 AM   #12

Kriss

I have a Dynatran tripod, an older 828 model with heavier three section legs but similar to your item #1. I also have the grip ball head ATH-918. My views are pretty straight forward, a friend of mine has a similar Manfrotto set up, his is better quality but cost twice as much. I have had only two problems, one of the screws in the leg mount came loose (they must have missed it when they put thread lock on all of the other screws), and the tension control on the head is jammed (possibly my fault, I may have applied a little too much force). Overall the performance has been great and I expect it to be my number 1 camera support for many years to come. I would rate it as a good buy and a good product. I believe that Roy (robar) also uses a Dynatran.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:34 AM   #13

Thanks a TON Ira, coming to the ball head will the ATH 919 have any added advantage?

Kriss
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:13 PM   #14

Hi Kriss,

I've recently become a Dynatran user, and am very pleased with their products. I'd suggest that you do a search of completed auctions for the models that you're interested in to get a feel for the lowest bid that has won in the past. You'll probably be surprised at how inexpensively you can get one of these for. Just have patience -- you'll win one eventually for the price you want.

I went with two of the carbon fiber models and was able to get one of them plus a "pro" featured ball head (ATH-A01)in a separate auction for about $100 USD total.

I'm not a fan of grip heads or offset ballheads, finding them both too bulky for my use, but their grip head is favorably reviewed by a number of users on different fora, so I'd trust their judgement. I went with the ATH-A0x series for the separate controls for panning, unlocked tension, and ball lock, their compact and very lightweight designs, and their ability to use Arca Swiss type Quick Release plates (which are pretty much the standard in pro level ballhead QR plates). Heads from the major players with these features usually start at over $200-300, I won three of these for under $80 shipped, and am very happy with them.

I'd go a bit further than Ira stated -- they have very good quality products with the possiblity of acquiring them for unbelievably low prices.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 7:51 PM   #15

Thanks a lot Scott, I never looked at ATH-A01, I think it would be my choice now (probably ATH - A02), b'cse they can handle more... (26.4lbs). And Scott I would say you really got the best deal here....can't find any carbon tripod going for less than 80 tht too without shipping......

Kriss