Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:21 PM   #1

Helloo Everybody,
After getting all the valuable info from this site I decided to buy the K10D with Kit Lens which arrived yesterday, also bought Tamron 90mm Macro and is yet to arrive. Now I would like to know what all to check in the new camera and the lens to make sure that they r in good working condition ( cannot afford anything more if the the dates for the return policy is over ).
Thank you
Kriss.

kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:35 PM   #2

Hopefully you read through the manual while you were charging the battery and have a good idea about the basic functions of the camera. Some things you should do - go outside in good light with the kit lens and take some pictures, subjects both close to you and further away, and at several different focal lengths. If you feel comfortable with basic photography things, put the camera in Av mode and vary the aperture so you can get an idea how sharp the kit lens is wide open, stopped down all the way and in between. Look at them on the computer to make sure they are reasonably sharp and that there's no funny color cast. Then use it inside with the flash up to make sure the flash works. Also take a picture of the sky without anything else in it (doesn't have to be in focus, so put the camera in manual focus mode) and look to see if there's any dust on the sensor - it will show up as spots on the picture, easily seen on a computer monitor (there was on mine when I first got it). If so, use some type of hand air blower to blow it off (Roy used to always use a turkey baster).

If the pictures look sharp and the flash works, go out and have fun playing with all the various functions.

When you get the Tamron, look at the glass to make sure there are no scratches (there shouldn't be) and that the aperture blades snap back into place easily (I've never heard of a new lens not being like this), then go out and have fun taking pictures of flowers, bugs or coins, just to make sure it works (and get some practice in, too).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:27 PM   #3

Thanks a lot mtngal..never knew tht info before.

Kriss
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:41 AM   #4

when shooting with the macro forget about AF. use MF and get your image close to the size you want it to be and lean in and out till you achieve focus. i usually shoot a 3 burst shot when not using a flash. off camera flash and a diffuser and gripworks wonders.

H, i've upgraded to a rocket blower. it works a lot better..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:57 AM   #5

THANKS Roy, tired doing that, changed the settings to M mode and focussed on the object but once I press the button, the lens seem to adjust the focus or search for it again. Is there anything else I need to do? And how far am I supposed to be from the subject? ( Does being near to the suject increase the magnification?) might seem a bit dumb...but can't help it...gotta learn.
T
Kriss
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:02 AM   #6

that's because you have the camera set to AF.. change it to MF..
also if you have a 1/2'', 12mm rod about 6', 2m long hold it in your left hand and use it as a monopod while holding it and the cam in your left hand. this works wonders.

roy
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:04 AM   #7

kriss wrote:
Quote:
And how far am I supposed to be from the subject? ( Does being near to the suject increase the magnification?) might seem a bit dumb...but can't help it...gotta learn.
T
Kriss
you'll be closer to the subject the closer to 1:1 you get.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:01 PM   #8

The manual focus button is on the front of the camera. Leave the camera mode setting (the dial on the top left) set for Av (if you want to specify the aperture for DOF, what I usually do when shooting macro) or P if DOF isn't critical.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:05 PM   #9

Thank you Roy and Mtngal...this really made a difference, can v use one of those mini- tripods for indoor shots? ( not sure if it can withstand the pentax ) because I see the problem with flash and without flash its gonna be a pretty long exposure.

Kriss
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:57 PM   #10

There are different weights of mini-tripods. I have one that really isn't sturdy enough. It does OK with the camera and a lightweight lens if carefully balanced, but will tip over with something somewhat heavier (it was a gift when I had the FZ30). There are ones that are heavier and sturdier, it depends on which one you have.

Another thing you might look at is a tripod where you can reverse the center pole, so your camera can be mounted much lower than the tripod is capable of going (I assume they still make these, having not looked at tripods in ages, I couldn't say for sure).