Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:33 AM   #21

I just bought a K10D a week ago. I have graduated from my Panasonic Lumix LMC8 which is also a P&S.

Haven't got to know my K10D well enough to answer your questions...but already I can tell that I'm in a whole new level with the K10D. I'm very happy with the K10D.

I would be careful with that Sunpak flash if I were you, may have too much voltage for a DSLR. Not sure about this..but I'm sure an expert will know and let you know on this thread, if they haven't already.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:53 AM   #22

Hi,
If you want to check out your flash, or how to measure the trigger voltage of it, then this is the site to visit. Hope it helps. ... Jack

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:52 AM   #23

One other strange effects of the upgrade path. When I used a simple p&s I was pleased with my pictures out of the camera because they were sharpened and the saturation was boosted by the camera processor. It assumed that I was a typical snapshooter who would just print the images as-is. When I moved up to a higher resolution pro-sumer zoom camera I was not pleased at first, I soon learned that the images were softer so that you could apply your own processing instead of letting the camera decide. My first DSLR experience was similar, with each step up a little more was demanded of me but the results were well worth it.

I have known of some people who returned their DSLRs within a week because they did not give them the huge improvements they had expected, and they did not have the patience to learn how to deal with a more professional camera.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:37 PM   #24

OK, after doing a lot of reading and handling both the K10D and the K100D Super, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the K100D Super.

The reasons I'm leaning in favor of the K100D are:
- Seems to fit my hands better. My hands are not all that large and I quit growing a long time ago.

- K10D is quite heavy. I imagine this is something I could/would get used to, but when comparing in the camera store, it just seemed a bit hulky.

- Lower noise of K100D at high ISO. This is one of the big reasons I'm moving up from the Panasonic FZ-30. This seems more important to IQ to me than megapixel count. Not that the K10D is really that bad or anything.

- Don't really need 10MP. Even though my FZ-30 had 8MP and the K100D is a step down, the difference in IQ by far makes up for the lower resolution. I may have to concentrate more on composition through the lens than by cropping afterwards, but that's probably a good thing.
If I can get quality 8x10 prints from 6MP, I'm good to go.

- Price. Although the price gap between the two is getting narrow, it's still a couple of hundred dollars I could put towards a better lens.

I almost ordered the K10D earlier tonight and stopped myself right before I jumped. After I calmed down I thought it through and came to the conclusion that the K10D is more camera than I need right now. I think I'll be more than happy with the K100D (especially compared to my Panasonic) and if later I find I need the extra features of the K10D, I'll save up and buy one of those, too! :-)

I know I've overthought this thing to death and just need to buy something and start taking some dang pictures!

Thanks to all here for advice. I expect I'll be needing more soon!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:08 PM   #25

Sounds like a well thought out plan - buy the K100. You won't regret it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:12 PM   #26

It was well thought out, with a lot of help from all the comments above (including yours). This forum seems like it'll be as friendly and helpful as the Panasonic P&S forum was when I first came here to Steve's.

BTW.. I ordered the camera with kit lens this morning!!
Now the anticipation is going to kill me.
With any luck, it'll be here before Thanksgiving!

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:44 PM   #27

Congrats bro, you're gonna love it!
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:34 PM   #28

I think you made a great choice. I have considered the K10D but, to be realistic, I am not yet at a level of photography to make full use of the *istDS I have now. The vaste range of features of the K10D would be lost on me right now. To me the ultimate Pentax would be a K100D Super but with the larger buffer and pentaprism of the DS.

You are going to enjoy that camera.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:11 PM   #29

Welcome to Pentax Land, I think you will enjoy your selection very much. Like Ira, I have not used the K100 to its full extent - and I am still learning - while having fun. I could never afford all the film in my early days - now its just bits on a disk.

So congraulations on your choice - and as always ...

You need to post some pictures!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote