Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:05 PM   #1

Hello all,

I'm currently using a Panasonic FZ-30. Have had it for 2 years now. It's still a great P&S and I've learned a ton since I've gottenit, but I feel I'm ready to move up to the DSLR world. Thelow noise at higher ISO and dynamic range of the DSLRs are two of the main reasons that I'm looking at making the move up.

I've pretty much convinced myself that the K10D would be a good transition camera for me. I've also looked at the K100D/Super, but considering the price difference isn't reallythat much, the K10D just seems like a better deal. I also gotten used to 8MP with the Panny and I tend to do a lot of cropping, so 10MP seems the way to go as well.

I know there area few people on this forum that made this same transition and would like to know what your experience was like. My main concerns for myself are that moving from a super-zoom P&S, I'm going to have trouble getting used to paying $$$ for big 'ol lenses to get the eqivalent (or close) focalrange. Also, I do a lot of macro photography and know nothing about macro photography with DSLR's. With the Panny, I just popped on my Raynox lenses and snapped away.

So, if anyone has any insight on what I'm in for, please feel free to share.

One more thing. I think the only thing other than my tripod that I'll be able to use with a K10D might be my flash. I have a SunPak 433D. I've used it manually with the Panny and assume I can do the same with the Pentax, yes?

Thanks folks!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:09 PM   #2

Welcome! I can't answer all of your questions, but I also recently made the jump from Point/shoot to DSLR. The folks here can really help you, I just wanted to welcome a fellow Baton Rouge native to this part of theboard!!!
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:19 PM   #3

Thanks, Eddie!

I noticed while scanning the Pentax forums that you had posted some photos from the BR zoo.

Gave up the bayou for the beach I guess, eh?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:33 PM   #4

Well, I joined the Air Force 20 odd years ago and I landed here. I have since retired, but we have 4 more years until my wife is eligible for retirement. I just got back from Baker last night. What part are you in?

Eddie
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:40 PM   #5

I'm currently in south BR, almost to Prairieville. Tiger Bend and Hoo-Shoo-Too area. Walking distance to the State Fair Grounds and Bayou Manchac.

As a matter of fact, the State Fair was one of the things lately that had me wishing for a DSLR. I knew it would be near impossible to get any decent night pics of the fair last month with my Panny.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:39 PM   #6

I took some at the BR state fair with mine last month.

Eddie
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:29 PM   #7

Have you posted any? I'd like to see how they came out.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:46 PM   #8

Well, here are a few, but I am not a good photographer yet! These were taken in very low light with an SMC M 1.4 50mm.

My daughter Abby with mommy.

Abby's cousin Austen (he's 3 months younger) with my brother.

Abby and Anna in the boat ride...

This one is not so good, but I love Abby's face! Her first roller coaster!!! She wanted to go again and again!!!

Eddie
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:48 PM   #9

Abby is 2 years and3 months old, btw...

Eddie
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:13 PM   #10

I'm probably not the best person to answer this because I only owned an FZ-30 for about a month and didn't get along with it at all. I quickly sold it for a Pentax DS and have been much happier. The Pentax dSLRs all have a different look to the pictures, which I personally found more pleasing (it's a matter of personal taste, there have been people who prefered the pictures out of the FZ30 and have had trouble trying to get the same thing from a dSLR).

If you aren't afraid of spending some time to think about what you are doing and often checking your camera settings (there's more buttons and levers on the camera bodyfor changing things that are buried in menus on the K100 and many other cameras), then the K10 would make sense, and it's certainly an excellent buy right now.

Top quality lenses do cost a fair amount, and right now there's a "feeding frenzy" on ebay with re-sellers trying to make a huge profit buying and selling Pentax lenses, since there is a lot of people chasing good glass right now. But there are some reasonable buys, and for the most part, a lens will last you as long as you want to keep it (I'm still using a couple of lenses my then-boyfriend bought for me in 1980. They are my old friends). So in the long run, they aren't as expensive as buying a new camera every couple of years.

There are a number of ways to go with macro. One is to see what type of quality you might get with the Raynox you already have on a lens. Another is to get extension tubes and use them with a lens (you lose light when you do this, but you don't have any other pieces of glass so you'll get all the sharpness the lens you are using is capable of). I played around a bit with a home-made extension tube, and a close-up filter (essentially a dioper adjustment filter) and decided that I really wanted a dedicated macro lens. I'd recommend doing that if macro is a big thing for you, just because it is so much easier than messing about with accessories all the time. Then you just put the lens on the camera, focus and shoot.

Sorry I can't help you with the flash question - I still don't have one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote