Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:05 AM   #1

Hi All,

I wanted to do some shots with the Tamron SP300+1.7x AFA for a handling comparison to the Tokina 150-500, and was fortunate to spot this guy who was actively fishing, so it was moving around quite a bit.

As I was watching the GBH, I glanced around and saw this juvie Black Crowned Night Heron snoozing in an overlooking tree. In the original resolution, it's very apparent that the bird's eyelid is upside down compared with a human's -- it closes from the bottom up, and with this guy, it's yellowish green. Pretty cool! (I get impressed by the strangest things)

I'm also trying out a new program for framing, (IDFramer), so any comments would be welcome. Also, any suggestions for other framing programs (especially those that might work with PSP as a plugin) would be appreciated.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:23 AM   #2

Scott,
a great series. nr4 and 5 are my favorites.

The tamron with the tc works good (imho),
but it's you taking the shots and not the camera.

That idFramer doesn't do a bad job.
Especially the color of the shot and the frame work together.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:01 PM   #3

All I can say is that these pictures would go a long way toward getting me to seriously think about a lens combinationthis big and long.

As far as the frame goes, it's nice. It doesn't try to compete with the picture, just to compliment it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:47 PM   #4

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,

I wanted to do some shots with the Tamron SP300+1.7x AFA for a handling comparison to the Tokina 150-500, and was fortunate to spot this guy who was actively fishing, so it was moving around quite a bit.

Scott
Are all these pict from the Tammy? If you did those handheld you are top rated in steadiness. Are some of these from the Tokina?

Framing is ok but what I worry is the very very minor degradation of jpg image resulting from one more step after conversion to jpg. More psychological I believe.

Lately I am gearing up only for shooting GBH in flight. But anytime they will be gone and won't be back until spring.

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:43 PM   #5

Hi Ronny, Harriet, and Daniel,

Ronny, Thanks for the comments -- IDFramer has a nice choice of frames, and is pretty easy to use and customize, but it's a standalone program, and it's pretty much a pain.

Harriet, What you really NEED is an F1.7x AFA to make your A*300/4 a 510/6.8 AF lens with very little extra length or weight over what you have -- it's very capable and will AF in just about all but the darkest overcast days (but then they say "it doesn't rain in sunny California" -- so you'd be good most of the time. . .)

Daniel, All were shot with the Tammy and AFA combo. The shutter speeds were relatively slow 1/100-1/160, and I did use a tripod. The GBH was @ 40 feet away, and there's no way that I would have gotten as good results handheld -- and I was trying to directly compare the handling with the Tokina, so since I used a tripod with it. . .

You are also very astute concerning the potential for image degradation having to switch programs. I actually noticed this while using the framing software, as it's jpeg save doesn't seem to do that well -- so I adjusted, and after resizing in PSP, I saved it as a PSD, framed it, saving as a TIFF, then resaved again in PSP, this time in jpeg, adjusting the output so as not to have too big a file for posting. This is pretty much a pain, so I'd like to get something that's good in a plugin that will work with PSP so I don't have to switch programs.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote