Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:59 PM   #1

Here are a few pictures I took at Old Washington Arkansas last weekend.

A friend's son, Jesse:

A friend of mine, Julius:

Yours truly:

My friend Zac:

A tintype of a friend (I had to photograph the tintype):

And the camera the tintypes were taken with (140 year old lens):

Eddie
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:28 PM   #2

Most of these pictures are really nice, but I don't care for the one of your friend Julius. The lighting was difficult and the white sky is terribly distracting - they say that one's eye tends to go to whatever is light and bright and there's a whole bunch of bright, white sky there. Why don't you try cropping much closer to your friend? It looks like there's a fair amount of "dead space" (think that's what they call it) in the picture, so you could crop out quite a bit of it. Then I'd probably try to lighten his face a bit (Lightroom has a feature called "fill light" that will lighten deep shadows) to try to negate that bright sky. His face is nicely in-focus and it definitely has potential. Anyway, that's just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth, just one person's opinion.

P.S. I just played with the picture, and came up with something. Let me know if you would like to see it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:45 PM   #3

I sure would love to see it! I Actually had a rough day photographing that day... There is not much pp on the Julius photo, just resize and framing pretty much. Always looking for better ways to enhance! Thanks!

Eddie
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:56 PM   #4

I used the fill-light feature in Lightroom, along with the recovery slider (which tones down blown-out parts of a photograph) and adjusted the blacks - essentially adjusting contrast. When I pushed the darks it brought out some purple fringing between the hat and the sky, so I also used Lightroom's CA adjustment tool to tone it down, too. It only took a couple of minutes to play with it, but I thought it was better. It might be nice to take this colorversion and make it into either a b&w or a sepia, like the other ones in your series.
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:00 PM   #5

Thank you so much! I need to get lightroom, I guess! I am still really new to photography and a serious novice with processing. I love what you did though, and am going to work with that one some more!!!

Eddie
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:59 AM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I used the fill-light feature in Lightroom, along with the recovery slider (which tones down blown-out parts of a photograph) and adjusted the blacks - essentially adjusting contrast. When I pushed the darks it brought out some purple fringing between the hat and the sky, so I also used Lightroom's CA adjustment tool to tone it down, too. It only took a couple of minutes to play with it, but I thought it was better. It might be nice to take this colorversion and make it into either a b&w or a sepia, like the other ones in your series.

Nice job Harriet, especially on Julius, but the trees now have a strange fringe or halo that makes them look fake. Perhaps working on the main subject on one layer while leaving the background pretty much alone would create a more pleasing effect.

Just wondering.

Ira

Here is my attempt on the full frame: (original image was one layer and Harriet's "Julius" was the other, then did some blur to the background layer)

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:06 PM   #7

And here is my cropped image:
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 5:12 PM   #8

I agree with you, Ira. I had noticed the funny look of the trees and if it were my picture, I would have done something similar to what you did, maybe not as well as you did. It's fun to see how a picture can grow as different people correct different parts.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:08 PM   #9

I liked them all Eddie!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:37 PM   #10

Thanks Dawg! If I'm ever near Thach, I will let you do the photography for me!!!

Eddie