Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 10, 2007, 4:56 PM   #1

Hey, anyone familiar with this lens? Promaster Spectrum 7 AF 28-200mm f3.8-5.6 XR aspherical, 15 elements in 14 groups, internal focusing, 62mm filters, maximum magnification 1:4 at 200mm, bayonet mount hood included.

eBay seller says it is new old stock, shop worn box. I thought $80 was a little on the high side but the seller has a 100% feedback score and a 7 day return policy so if it is in new condition it isn't a bad buy. The lens is silver in colour with a zoom ring that has the same texture as the later FA Pentax lenses. I don't know who the manufacturer is (probably Cosina or Samyang given past discussions on Promaster). I am hoping it will be a good lens for Annette to use as a walk about.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:30 PM   #2

Redbadge Tamrom lens. Actually a very good all arounder.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:51 PM   #3

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Redbadge Tamrom lens. Actually a very good all arounder.

Thanks, when I looked at the pictures it looked like the Tamron lenses from a few years ago (similar to the Pentax FA 28-200mm which I believe was built by Tamron). I am hoping it will be a decent performer, just as a walk about lens.

Ira

Edit - I just checked the Tamron website, the specs on the Promaster exactly match the AF28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical [IF] Macro including weight, optical formula, filter size, macro ratio andminimum focus distance. Thanks again for the information.

Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:18 PM   #4
TDN

I have what I think is the Tamron version of this lens, and it is indeed very good at what it was made for: being an allround superzoom.

Don't expect it to be tack sharp, or to have brilliant colour rendition and contrast, but it does produce sharp enough images, and the colours are ok.

When I can only take one lens on a trip, I never doubt, I always take this one.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:56 AM   #5

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I have what I think is the Tamron version of this lens, and it is indeed very good at what it was made for: being an allround superzoom.

Don't expect it to be tack sharp, or to have brilliant colour rendition and contrast, but it does produce sharp enough images, and the colours are ok.

When I can only take one lens on a trip, I never doubt, I always take this one.

Tom
That is all that I was hoping for, it will not be used for critical work just for snapshots and holiday memories.

Ira
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:40 PM   #6

This lens for being a zoom lens is quite good wide to tele. Well it isn't so wide but at about 43mm with crop 1.5x it is closer to a 35mm film format with a 50mm lens.

Promaster has a limited lifetime warranty on any lens manufactured and bought after the year 2000. Tamron has a six year warranty and they are the same lens.

Be it Promaster or Tamron I have had good to excellent results using this lens brand.
If you can get the 28-75mm XR Di 2.8 for a good deal I would recommend it.

The Tamron 28-200mm XR Di 3.8-5.6 is still going for $299 US.

You got a great deal!

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:50 AM   #7

Hi Ira,

Nice Buy on the lens... I have the Sigma 28-200mm You might also look at the specs of the Sigma lens. It might also be a rebaged Sigma.

Who says the pics from a 28-200mm lens can't be sharp? It all depends on the user taking the time to learn the quirks and sweet spots of the lens.

This was taken with my 28-200mm

Rudy
Attached Images

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8

Congrats on the lens Ira. Hope it does well for you.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:04 PM   #9

I had some doubts about the purchase but you guys have certainly reduced them. I will let you know how it turns out when the lens arrives.

Ira