Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:32 PM   #11

ToXiQ wrote:
Quote:
daniel,

I like that photo very muchÂ*:-) I do think it is toooooo smaalllllll :roll:

regards Walter
Oh I think you came on board recently and it refers to an old thread

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...jump_to=669754

The pict , not the subject, is large enough.

The subject is small of course from a fisheye 16mm

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:08 AM   #12

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Eddie OM35 wrote:
Quote:
I say that they don't deserve your work, or are threatened by it, or both! I love when you post a new topic with pictures!

Notwithstandig my wish to indulge in your compliment, I cannot ignore the fact that the forum (I referred to above) happens to be the top rated I believe.

Here is the unspoken reason that I believe they wanted to have my picture in the elements of humankind forum rather than the birdie forum.

My picture (hand feeding a woodpecker while taking pict) happens to be grainy and most important of all breaking the all important 1/3 rule. My hand was actually a lot bigger than the subject - the bird. It actually calls for a tighter crop. I agree with that. They are that uptight

Daniel, Toronto
Not the 1/3 rule but the 1/3 guide. I've seen outstanding photos that break this guide. Guides are to help not hinder and if you say it is a rule then it hinders the artistic among us by insisting we stay within the barriors set up by folks that take a guide and make it a rule. I would thumb my nose at these "rules" but it is a waste of time as those that tend to live by them have no intention of listening to some one who doesn't follow them as iron clad rules. They to me are only guides and therefore not something I live by but rather someting I use to help.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:45 AM   #13

i guess rule number one for joining any forum is follow the rules
one person bends them then all members can bend them and where does it stop
(even this forum has rules which they will not bend)

i dont know what foeum you joined but if it were nature, then the mere presence of you hand in the picture (especially so large in the frame nad very sharp) would mean it does not fit and if this is so the 2 people were rather polite in explaining the place you should poat such shots
some nature competitions I realise this was a forum) are extremley strict with rules and even a tree in the photo that has been pruned will render the image ineligable
some nature competitions have special categories for human influences

read their rules and decide if you wish to keep posting there
and good luck
you can always post here
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:00 AM   #14

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
i guess rule number one for joining any forum is follow the rules
one person bends them then all members can bend them and where does it stop
(even this forum has rules which they will not bend)

i dont know what foeum you joined but if it were nature, then the mere presence of you hand in the picture (especially so large in the frame nad very sharp) would mean it does not fit and if this is so the 2 people were rather polite in explaining the place you should poat such shots
some nature competitions I realise this was a forum) are extremley strict with rules and even a tree in the photo that has been pruned will render the image ineligable
some nature competitions have special categories for human influences

read their rules and decide if you wish to keep posting there
and good luck
you can always post here
I am the type of people action first before asking. If I have a new gismo, I use it first before checking the manual. If I cannot understand I would post quesiton in the web before cheaking the manual.
You do have a point.
Here we are so liberal.
But the restriction of 750 pixel square is very very restrictive. That means to maximise size you have to resize everything square. I can see now any non-subject item (i.e. my hand) will render the whole thing not viable at all.
Now I am still trying to beat their system within their rule.
I point to my pict to a smaller version (say 400x400) of my pbase.com. My image will be within their 750x750 limit. And I also give the original (address only but no direct link ). People know where to click anyway.

Daniel
p.s. pbase allows you to give link to the small, medium, large & original size of the same image.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:28 AM   #15

i have found even in the Pentax forum restrictions that have me choose not to participate
all my photos are 800 on the longest side, some monthly competitions have widths less than that, so i choose not to participate, its no problem

if the forum allows you to link to larger photos elsewhere then that is in your favour
i think you also need to find out exactly what the problem with the "humankind" thing is
if it is the presence of "human intervention" then maybe you do need to post it in the other forum in the future?
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:16 PM   #16

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
i have found even in the Pentax forum restrictions that have me choose not to participate
all my photos are 800 on the longest side, some monthly competitions have widths less than that, so i choose not to participate, its no problem
Most of their pictures posted are within 700x700 to 750x750. And they are small - some people may say ok. I guess everyone of them crop and resize to this narrow range. In this size it is better to over photoshop which otherwise in large file would have been very obvious and awful.
I still say such 750x750 restriction is just the relic of 14inch crt monitor & 8086 cpu. Insanely outdated.

Daniel