Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:09 AM   #1

I first posted to a Birdie forum (name withdrawn) re my shots in series

They say the image was oversized 800 instead of 750 in the rule book. That is still ok even in this age of 20" LCD monitor costing $200.
They say the pict should belong to another forum called 'Element of Humankind '. I can only guess the reason that it is not a birdie shot because by strict photographic 1/3 rule, my hand should be the subject and not the bird.

Rules are rules. But this is outlandish. Or those of RPS (Royal Photographic Society) ?

Dawg: You have first hand knowledge of forum rules. And I am sure this forum is already a very liberal one.

Daniel, Toronto

P.S. these are the emails from two of their moderator:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

Hi Daniel and welcome to this forum, pretty cool to have a DWP land on your hand

Please note as per our posting guidelines that only one image is allowed per post every 48 hours.
This might even belong in our elements of humankind forum

David xxxx Moderator

Interesting shot and welcome aboard , Daniel!

*The image, 800x532 pixels, is larger than recommended. Please keep the long side to within 750 pixels. Take time to read our Posting Guidelines at ... http://www.xxxxxxxx/guidelines.htm *

Agree with David that this photo is more suited to the Elements of Humankind (EHK). Instead of moving this thread I will let this one slide this time.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:30 AM   #2

I think some people should spend more time trying to get shots like yours instead of trying to prove to themselves how important they are. Love your shots!

Eddie
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:46 AM   #3

Daniel...Some forums try to limit the image size and the number of image posts so their storage and band width is not over used. I really don't see why in this day and age of high speed server's and huge storage mediums. We at the un-named forum let folks post as much as they want and limit the photos to 1024 only because any bigger would cause the viewer to have to scroll too much. I believe that if you are going to post in this forum you are talking about you will just have to follow their rules. If they are too much of a constraint then move on....From what I'm hearing and seeing I think they have a power complex and are too strict for me (here I say me) to ever think of becoming a member there. This forum ( Steve's) and the one I moderate are much easier on the number of posts and the topics allowed. Usually here and on the other one The post is moved more to help the person get the answers they are looking for rather than it being a matter of the content not matching the forum topic. I like that. I might PM someone and say you would get better results if you posted in a different forum and then move it if they so wished but I'd never arbitrarily move one just because I thought it didn't fit there. I left DPR because they did some really boneheaded things and would probably do the same with this forum you are talking about if I was ever to become a member. Too many rules and too strict an enforcement will stiffel free transfer of thoughts and ideas.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 5:06 PM   #4

All forums have to walk a fine line between what some would call "rules" or "censorship" and keeping a fun, friendly place. We've been very lucky here at Steve's because the people who hang out here are (for the most part) friendly folks who are tolerant of differing points of views. Not all boards are so lucky and I've seen some get torn apart when a few really cross the line. It's possible that the bird board you are talking about has had significant problems, and their only way of dealing with it is to make stricter and stricter rules until an outsider thinks that the rules are unreasonable - that may be their only way of surviving some really disruptive arguments/people. As Dawg pointed out, it is easy to just move on to someplace else - there's no shortage of places on the internet to socialize.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:38 PM   #5

Spot on.

Its the people who post in this forum that make it what it is.

I think you should all take a collective bow,

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:47 PM   #6

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Daniel...Some forums try to limit the image size and the number of image posts so their storage and band width is not over used.
The forum I am talking about does not even allow uploading to their server. And Steve forum is the only generous exception. What storage or bandwidth problem ? Ever try to upload picture to Phil dpreview forum? It is just a simple link to the poster's photo site.

Also file width of 750 is outdated. That might be correct in the good old days of 14 inch crt monitor. May I ask how of you are still using 14" monitor? With a typical 15 inch LCD 1280x768 resolution, 1024x768 is just right on.

But the restriction , though outdated and irrelevant, is still not outlandish. What is outlandish is that they nearly put my post to the 'Element of Humankind forum '(whatever it means)

Daniel
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:20 PM   #7

I say that they don't deserve your work, or are threatened by it, or both! I love when you post a new topic with pictures!
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:46 PM   #8

Eddie OM35 wrote:
Quote:
I say that they don't deserve your work, or are threatened by it, or both! I love when you post a new topic with pictures!

Notwithstandig my wish to indulge in your compliment, I cannot ignore the fact that the forum (I referred to above) happens to be the top rated I believe.

Here is the unspoken reason that I believe they wanted to have my picture in the elements of humankind forum rather than the birdie forum.

My picture (hand feeding a woodpecker while taking pict) happens to be grainy and most important of all breaking the all important 1/3 rule. My hand was actually a lot bigger than the subject - the bird. It actually calls for a tighter crop. I agree with that. They are that uptight

Daniel, Toronto
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:11 AM   #9

danielchtong wrote
Quote:
My picture (hand feeding a woodpecker while taking pict) happens to be grainy and most important of all breaking the all important 1/3 rule. My hand was actually a lot bigger than the subject - the bird. It actually calls for a tighter crop. I agree with that. They are that uptight

Daniel, Toronto
Daniel

Photographic rules are there to be broken, bend or used, they are guidelines.

If they don't even understand such a basic concept, how high they may be rated, they are IMO not worth the effort you put into them.

The fact that they want to keep small pictures I can understand, that's a rule they just have. If you crop the right side and top a bit, then the picture is at once good for the other forum.:roll:

I've checked out a lot of other forums and really this (steve's) is one of the two where I really feel at home. The other is a dutch/belgian one and its main goal is digital photography, without specific camera brand sections.

just my 2c

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:07 PM   #10

daniel,

I like that photo very much:-) I do think it is toooooo smaalllllll :roll:

regards Walter
ToXiQ is offline   Reply With Quote