Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:40 PM   #1

I know the viewfinder covers 95% of the image so I seeing the output somewhat larger wouldn't be an issue.Yet, I am concerned to seethe extra 5%invariably goes tothe lefthandside:!:

As you see below, I simplyframedthe boring tiles!depending on the borders of the viewfinder!Do you thinkthat signals toa problem with theplace of theccd??:?

Again, sorry for the subjet! Icould haveshot my aquarium, but that would be a bit much distracting : )
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:42 PM   #2

I have the same problem, and it seems to be more on the left side as well. I don't worry about it since I can always crop if I have to. It shouldn't make any difference on the picture quality.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:20 PM   #3

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
I have the same problem, and it seems to be more on the left side as well. I don't worry about it since I can always crop if I have to. It shouldn't make any difference on the picture quality.

Glenn
Thanks for the response, Glenn. Just regarding the 'sweet spot' of the lens Itoo hope itdoes not make any difference in IQ as you say!! Still, not sure if I'm being a bit much pricky :roll:
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:13 PM   #4

Hi bahadir.

Was this taken with a tripod, if not, the possibility exists that when you trip the shutter, you might cause the camera to tip. This is a very common user error, and SR helps to mask the movement by compensating and giving a sharp overall appearance (it also corrects for rotational movement). Another way you can tell if this might be the problem is if the angular displacement is not always the same in different pics where you notice it, or if it only happens occasionally. You can cure this by being very deliberate and gentle when pressing the shutter button.

If you did use a tripod, then there is apparently some alignment problem, but it might be in the viewfinder instead of the sensor. I'd check the focusing screen (since it's easily user replaceable, so it's the part that is most easily misaligned) before assuming that it's a problem that you can't fix yourself. If everything is straight, then it might be some sort of misalignment of one of the other components (pentaprism or sensor), and Pentax has so far replaced the cameras of those found to have such faults in the past, so I'd contact Pentax Service, and if you send it in, I'd include some samples to illustrate the problem.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:25 PM   #5

Dear Scott, this happens everytime, disregarding the SR is on or off! Below, you'll see a typical one, again, shot as the camera was fixed on the table, the either sides of the bookcase bordering the sight from the viewfinder.

Today,as you suggested,I called the Pentax service and they were interested in the matter.Still, I'll be grateful if you just send me link or briefly explain how to realign the focusing screen. Do you think it is even easier than replacing the focusing screen alltogether??

Or alternatively, do you think my situationoffers an adventage, for, at least I know which side of the viewfinder isas accurateas a live LCD display andexpect to see the extra 5% sight on other side :-)

Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:21 PM   #6

If the Pentax tech didn't tell you it is normal, it probably isn't. If you depend on in camera framing and it really bothers you, andif your camera is under warranty, let them adjust it - if youtinker withit yourself, you may negate the warranty. If you do nothing now and decide too late thatyou should have had it done before the warranty expired you may regret it.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:10 AM   #7

Hi bahadir,

Rereading your post, I think I understand what your problem is now -- I thought you were concerned with the tilt --.

If I'm reading correctly, you're concerned that what you see in the viewfinder is not necessarily what you see on the image captured, and the image captured is shifted to the right when compared with the image you saw in the viewfinder. I doubt that the viewfinder screen is the culprit (it might have been with a tilt). I'd say that it's either the sensor or the pentaprism, and there's nothing that you could do -- but with things like this, I just mentally compensate -- it's just a quirk of the camera that I have to get used to (I'd know, for example, that if I cut off a little of something in the viewfinder, that it would actually be captured in the image).

Unless it really bothers you, and you can't get used to it, I'd probably not send the camera in.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 6:17 AM   #8

penolta wrote:
Quote:
If the Pentax tech didn't tell you it is normal, it probably isn't. If you depend on in camera framing and it really bothers you, andif your camera is under warranty, let them adjust it - if youtinker withit yourself, you may negate the warranty. If you do nothing now and decide too late thatyou should have had it done before the warranty expired you may regret it.
Upon listening to my extensive description,they didn't dare to say it is normal : ) Thankfully,the distributorshere sound helpful and customer oriented.Taking your insightful words into account, I think I'llhave this issuefixed by the timethe warranty expires, oh,unlessmy curious side ventures into sth.terminating it !

.................................................. .......................

Scott wrote:

Quote:
Rereading your post, I think I understand what your problem is now -- I thought you were concerned with the tilt --.

If I'm reading correctly, you're concerned that what you see in the viewfinder is not necessarily what you see on the image captured, and the image captured is shifted to the right when compared with the image you saw in the viewfinder. I doubt that the viewfinder screen is the culprit (it might have been with a tilt). I'd say that it's either the sensor or the pentaprism, and there's nothing that you could do -- but with things like this, I just mentally compensate -- it's just a quirk of the camera that I have to get used to (I'd know, for example, that if I cut off a little of something in the viewfinder, that it would actually be captured in the image).

Unless it really bothers you, and you can't get used to it, I'd probably not send the camera in.

Thanksfor your reconsidering! It might have been due to my habit of bringing the listener beyond hills and valleys while describing sth:GI think I'm good at adapting to that quirk of the camera for it offers me no problem anymore with the composition. But, I also wonder if that quirk might have a complication ending with my complaintabout the right handside softness with my Sigma lens which I've sent to the service for a second timeto be replaced with a new product after seeing the calibration job did not work!