Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1

Well, I had the day off today, so I was hoping my 85 f/1.8 would come in today, even though it's not due in until tomorrow. I went out to the box to check the mail and no lens, but I did find my new copy of Popular Photography. So I flipped through it for a few minutes when I came across something quite interesting... Thought you all might enjoy:
Attached Images

inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:41 PM   #2

I think this is one Pentax lens that has had quite a following ever since its Takumar screw mount days. Improvements over the years has resulted in the excellent FA lens available today (too bad the wonderful mechanical quality of the old Pentax lenses was lost in the transition to AF, perhaps Pentax needs to re-release this lens as a Limited with all of the extra attention to mechanical details and materials that those lenses have). The optical formula is basically the same as the Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.4, and the Pentax SMC coating is still one of the best on the market. Mike Johnston of The Online Photographer rates this lens as one of his all time favourites. Pop photography are simply recognizing the fact that one of the best lenses is actually a great deal.

A friend of mine has a Canon 30D and the Canon 50mm f1.4. It is huge compared to the Pentax lens I received last month. The 30D may be a big step up in performance compared to my *istDS but the huge Canon lens offered no advantage over my compact little Pentax. I have been playing around with the f1.4 for about a month now and have come to the conclusion that there is no substitute for this classy glass. My old M 50mm f1.7 was just as sharp but the marvelously shallow DOF and great bokeh of the f1.4 are not easily described. I need to use this lens more.

Ira

Hopefully my issue will arrive before Saturday. BTW my 50mm now sports a metal lens hood designed for a telephoto lens, it does not vignette on this lens.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:33 PM   #3

Yeah, I read somewhere about the ability to use bigger hoods on digital due to the crop factor. They dSLR's are basically cropping out the vignette you would've been getting using that hood on a film camera (or FF digital)

Nick

PS: Just found out I have tomorrow off too Can't wait to get my hands on the new lens and flash!

BTW: I finally finished picking up everything for my new system. I miss the busy forums (Canon forums are a bit slow here) and a lot of the feedback I used to get here. Just figured I would post one of my recents shots here for S&G:

20D, 200mm, f2.8, 1/250", ISO1600

Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:29 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nick, I am impressed at the lack of noise at ISO 1600. I find that anything over ISO 400 on my DL results in a high degree of noise. Is the noiseless image above a result of the Canon technology or some great post processing? Either way, great shot! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:59 PM   #5

Thanks Jelpee... The 20D's CMOS sensor does produce less noise at high ISO than I experianced with the K10D's CCD, It's not thathuge of a difference. That picture was run through Imagenomic's "Noiseware Professional"

Thanks for the comment!

PS: Here's the same picture, sameUSMwithout usingNoiseware Pro
(Now that I look at this, I see there is quite a bit less noise than from my K10d at ISO1600)
Attached Images

Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:58 AM   #6

Glad to see you're still doin' it INN!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 6:23 AM   #7

Thanks Dawg... I'm addicted to this hobby, there's not much out there that would make me quit.

Nick