Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:43 PM   #11

These are beautiful, Penolta. I had never seen them before.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:11 PM   #12

Terrific shots, so sharp and wonderful colours.

Quote:
Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life. And everyone deserves a little sunshine. ~Jeffrey Glassberg

Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:40 AM   #13

You have got to get the first one in a book. It is, as our British bretheren would say, splendid.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:49 AM   #14

Love the painted lady - I'm not sure I've seen one properly. But then, I usually only see a flitting shape leaving my area quickly when I see most butterflies.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:57 AM   #15

Thanks, all, for looking and commenting.

Harriet, the Painted Ladys were not at all cooperative for me, either. They just wouldn't sit still, moving from flower to flower, their wings constantly opening and closing. The 7 shots posted were all that were salvageable from 61 attempts taken in two sessions a month apart - only an 11.5 percent success rate. The lighting was difficult - distant and overhead shots, back lit, top lit, part shade/part sun, etc., requiring post processing and cropping. Exposure 62 would have been the one I was trying for - still, with fully spread wings in full sun -- and the battery died! So I said the heck with it and went with what I had. ::X

Yesterday the yard was full of butterflies of at least 7 species - last night and this morning we had strong Santa Ana winds that will continue through tomorrow night, so like last year, there will be no leaves left (most of the butterfly bushes are already stripped, their leaves on the ground), so it is just as well that I finished. And a new K20D has just arrived. Oh well. Maybe next year.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:37 PM   #16

A new K20?! Way to go! You'll love it.

I know all about the Santa Anas -going home it was fire on the right and fire on the left - two different brush fires burningin the mountains, on either side of the freeway I was on (the fires weren't near that particular freeway, but you could see the smoke). It'll be a while before they can get a handle on them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote