Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:00 PM   #11

pwithem wrote:
Quote:
aren't the Rayovac Hybrids and Eneloops also NiMH?

Sounds like what you guys are saying in general is that battery versions that do not self-discharge (or so do very little) are the way to go even though they may have less overall capacity (i.e., 2100 mAh vs. 2700 mAh, etc.).

Is there a king among the Rayovac Hybrids, Eneloops and any other? Should I look specifically for non-selfdischarging features?

Thanks a bunch,
Pat
yes they are but are made different somehow. the 3 brands i know of are mentioned here. hybrids, eneloops, hybrios. you'll never go back to the regular ones.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:23 PM   #12

pwithem,

I had been having problems with my camera (K100D) and sent it in to Pentax just before the warranty ran out. They sent it back saying it was fine. It was the batteries I was using. They recommended the following -"it was primarily designed to utilize a CR-V3 disposable lithium battery as it's primary power source." Other tips mentioned, "if you use AA rechargeable batteries, use only the NiMH batteries with the highest mAh rating you can find (2500 mAh or more preferably). However, these batteries operate at a lower voltage and need to be charged more often."

The ones I use are the same that Roy uses. The Rayovac hybrids from Walmart. I have found since it came back that if I just keep the batteries charged before using it for a full day of shooting, I have no problems at all with them. I had been letting them go until they registered dead. Unlike Roy I haven't had success in letting that happen. Although, I have four sets of them and it might just be one set that it happens with. Haven't done enough research on that to see. And, I carry a set of CRV3's in the bag as backups just in case.

Anyway, this may not have been what you had been looking for in the search tool. But, the 2100mAh ones do seem to work fine.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:21 PM   #13

I have used Energizer 2500mAh NiMH batteries but they seem to lose interest after a year or so. I now use 2650mAh Duracells and I must say the most impressive thing about them is that they do not lose their charge very quickly when just sitting in the camera bag. With the Energizers (even when new) by two weeks they would register empty, with the Duracells I have taken batteries that have been sitting for a month and they still have enough energy for an afternoon walk (maybe 200 shots). I am very impressed by them. As for letting the batteries go dead while shooting, my DL would show some serious AF errors with weak batteries.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:43 PM   #14

Thanks for all the observations! I've had my powerex's for about 2 years now, so it sounds like it's not unusual for NiMHs to break down by that time. From charging, I've found that one battery tends to lose twice as much charge in a given time as the other cells, although all of them lose a healthy dose just sitting around for a day or two.

I'll look into some of the other brands that are supposed to retain charge and maybe try to find some reviews. Thanks again.

Pat
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:52 PM   #15

pat,
one thing about the regular NiMHs is they operate at full strength until they are practically empty. that's why the indicator only shows a half full reading for such a short time. i may get the warning for a week using the hybrids.. just another of my 2¢..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 5:16 PM   #16

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24294925

This is my long term report of using rechargeable crv3. They are voltage regulated one - not those that gave 3.8 v each.

I have around 7000 shots in my DL for 6 months now. Can't be happier with it. It is indispenable particularly in winter time

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:35 AM   #17

I had kinda lost track of the RCRV3 batteries - definitely looks like a way to go. I'm not sure I caught you mentioning it in that thread, but how many shots would you say you get on one charge?

Regarding the many comments on voltage in that thread, I notice my DS has a dc input of 6.5 V, so I'd be concerned only about keeping at or below that voltage. Seems like two 3.2 V RCRV3s would be just fine.

When my NiMHs started crapping out, I finally opened the CRV3 pair that came with my DS. After shooting for a while with them in, I forgot they were in there and just noticed the camera being a bit more snappy, so I'd love to get that feel on a regular basis if it's a matter of 2 X 3.2 vs 4 X 1.2.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:54 PM   #18

Have to agree Monza. 2650mAH Duracells. 18 months, 50,000+ shots on a DS and never had to dig out the spares even after 800 shots. I did read on the forum that on a 15 minute charger (other chargers as well?) it will shut off when the strongest of 4 batteries is charged. If I had something important planned I would charge each battery individually. Guess I neverhad the need for expensive batteries.
robert383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 3:42 AM   #19

pwithem wrote:
Quote:
I had kinda lost track of the RCRV3 batteries - definitely looks like a way to go.* I'm not sure I caught you mentioning it in that thread, but how many shots would you say you get on one charge?*

Regarding the many comments on voltage in that thread, I notice my DS has a dc input of 6.5 V, so I'd be concerned only about keeping at or below that voltage.* Seems like two 3.2 V RCRV3s would be just fine.*

When my NiMHs started crapping out, I finally opened the CRV3 pair that came with my DS.* After shooting for a while with them in, I forgot they were in there and just noticed the camera being a bit more snappy, so I'd love to get that feel on a regular basis if it's a matter of 2 X 3.2 vs 4 X 1.2.*
I would say around 800 for RCRV3. The great part is that it feels more snappy and I forget there is a need for batt. But I do have back up.

I suspect either the tolerance level of K100D is lower or its voltage is just below that of the DL. I still cannot account for the nagging noise after putting in RCRV3. And I have Eneloop there so far. A couple of time (twice ) I did have the funny noise coming from my K100D with CRV3 (non-chargeable type) too. I have no clue if there is any relevance.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:36 AM   #20

Fantastic. I ordered a pair of Moby RCRV3 chargers w/ batteries. I dislike how the chargers will only do one battery at once, so you have to have two if you want them done at the same time. I also ordered a pair of the Maha brand low self discharge NiMH. Looking forward to trying them all out and comparing.