Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:14 PM   #1

I'm thinking there might have been a question on this in the past, but didn't find anything with the search tool.

Has anyone noticed the DS (or DL, K100, K110 for that matter) being finicky about remaining battery power? I'm trying to determine whether my 2500 mAh Powerex batteries are going bad or something else.

Basically, when I first started using those batteries with the camera, I could leave them in for weeks if I wasn't taking pictures and they still had plenty of juice. Now, it's not so much the case. The camera, in a matter of days, may go to a half, then "battery depleted" state. When I charge the batteries with my BC900, they still charge up to between 2600-2700 mAh. Also, I can either wait a moment sometimes (say, after a flashed shot), and the indicator goes back to full. Or if it says battery depleted, I can turn it off then back on and it's back up to full power for a good while longer.

I was thinking my batteries are either depleting faster and/or losing the ability to maintain sufficient voltage.

Anyone experience anything similar?
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:36 PM   #2

Pentax + Battery Indicator = Problems.

Basically ignore the indicator and shoot till it stops, then change batteries. That was what I came to accept with the DL.

I must say, though, that the K10 doesn't seem to suffer from this. Maybe because it has a dedicated lithium battery, rather than generic rechargables.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:43 PM   #3

Yeah, this has been my approach as well. But, when it says "battery depleted", it basically just stops. So, you have to turn it off and turn it back on. Not that such an effort causes me to sweat, but it forces you to halt your activity, which I don't like.

It seems more inclined to do this after high drain actions, such as using the flash or uploading files via usb cable - as if the batteries are lagging just a bit in their ability to provide sufficient current. After a few moments, the camera is happy again cause it's apparently getting what it wants from the batteries. If this is the case, it's all fine and good, except for the "battery depleted" and stopping part.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 7:43 PM   #4

it's the batteries!!! i found(and many others)that regular NmHd batteries work fine fora few charging cycles but in time they tend to loose their charge rather fast , even on a new recharge , 2-3 days.
since last april, yeah, 8 months, i've been using rayovac HYBRIDS 2100mah and get about 1000 shots per charge. also they do not self discharge. i got 860 shots from them out of the package. these are the same as the eneloops and hybrios.
i've gone from 8-10sets of batteries to four. a set for each camera, a set for the flash, and a backup that i've never had to use. what a concept????
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:05 PM   #5

As Roy says "Its the batteries".

I found tha NmHi batteries vary greatly from between brands.

Since I got my DS, I found the longest lasting and most consistent for retaining charge are a set of generic brand from a large elctronics retail chain.

Before I set out for a days shooting I always ensure I have a t least one set of freshly charged AAs in the bag.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:07 PM   #6

I'm with Roy here. I use either Rayovac Hybrids or Eneloops (that I got on sale) for both my DS and the various flash units I have. I've retired my NiMH batteries to in-home use applications where if they die, it's not a big deal to change them out, as opposed to having to stop a shoot because of this.

Since I also have a K10, the DS doesn't always get grabbed, and I like the fact that I can leave a set of batteries in it without having to remember when I charged the batteries last. I just stick a little sticker on the battery door with the last img # taken before the last recharge and assume that I'll have about 700 shots before I need to replace them with a freshly charged set, no matter how long it's been.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:06 PM   #7

Great input guys! Scott, regarding your comment:
Quote:
I use either Rayovac Hybrids or Eneloops (that I got on sale) for both my DS and the various flash units I have. I've retired my NiMH batteries to in-home use applications...
aren't the Rayovac Hybrids and Eneloops also NiMH?

Sounds like what you guys are saying in general is that battery versions that do not self-discharge (or so do very little) are the way to go even though they may have less overall capacity (i.e., 2100 mAh vs. 2700 mAh, etc.).

Is there a king among the Rayovac Hybrids, Eneloops and any other? Should I look specifically for non-selfdischarging features?

Thanks a bunch,
Pat
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:13 PM   #8

I just had a set of Sanyos go from being pretty good (but not as good as they were new, a year ago)to not holding a charge at all. So now I'm in the market for new batteries. I did find the DS battery meter to bewildly inaccurate, the K100more realistic.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:14 PM   #9

I don't have any Hybrids, but I do have a set of Sony batteries that seem to last much longer that any of the other brands I have. I also have had one battery in a set go bad and when replaced the set then became reliable once again.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 4:31 AM   #10

Same experience here, I've switched to Uniross Hybrios ( these seem to be the brand that is most readily available locally), just put them in the camera and forget them most of the time. Recently I found some rechargeable li-ion CR-V3s, and will start testing those when my present set of Hybrios decide they've had enough.
One strange thing I've experienced is that a couple of older sets the camera rejects completely I can put in the flash, and find they work no problem, I haven't figured that one out yet. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote