Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:41 AM   #1

I didn't bring neither a macro or a real tele lens, I had to do with the F70–210for any nature photography. Hence the pic quality.

But what is this, Penolta?
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:43 AM   #2

And these birds, aren't they the same punk rocker birds as in your avatar? They gathered all days on a bank at the Umzimvubu river mouth.

Kjell
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:43 PM   #3

Well, you are really challenging me here (my first thought was "He's got to be kidding! :angry - I was tempted just to tell you that you have a butterfly and a bunch of birds, as I have never been to Africa, have no familiarity with Old World butterflies whatsoever, but I do have more familiarity with seabirds, at least. The flip side is that you have given me the opportunityto dig out booksI haven't had the opportunity to use in a while, and now can justify to my wifehaving kept them onmy now veryovercrowded bookshelves for so long!

The butterfly (I can't believe I might have found it :O, having correctly recognized the Family at least) MAY be Papilio demodocus, a relative of the Swallowtails that is widespread in Africa, including the South. No common name is given - Google it (in Images) and see what you get.

As for the birds with the "punk rocker" hairdos. they are related to, but not the same,as the ones in my avatar. Mine are Elegant Terns, confined to the Pacific coasts of the Americas (the only thing I can say for sure). There appear to be (you could at least have brought along a TC!) several species on the shore - the two you have isolated appear to be a Crested Tern on the left and a Lesser Crested Tern on the right, both of which do occur on the Indian Ocean coast where your unpronounceable river empties out. However, I will not stake whatever little is left of my reputation after this on that either! :G

If you ask for any plant identifications other than Baobab or Acacia trees, I will ignore you! Welcome back, I think. :whack:

BTW, According to yesterday's newspaper, this month is the trial of a wildlife photographer taking pictures for a book, who knowingly trespassed in a closed area of a wildlife refuge, swam out to a protected Elegant Tern nesting island and caused so much disruption that the entire years crop of eggs was reported to have been destroyed. He is up on several charges. Not at all good for the reputation of wildlife photographers in the public mind.Such irresponsible behaviorhurts us all. I, for one, will not buy his book. :X
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:46 AM   #4

Wow, your reputation is no way endangered but this takes you to even higher hilltops. As far as I can judge your classification of the butterfly is absolutely correct, when I compare with googled pictures.

But then again what little I know about butterfly classificationI understand that it'shaywire, with specimens of the same species looking totally different and specimens looking the same might not even belong to the same genus.

I agree on the birds being terns, but there we have come to the definite end of my seabird knowledge. That you can see, from my "crystal clear" pictures, that they are two different species makes me kneel in admiration. Before you wrote it, I didn't notice any difference at all.

I'm going back in June next year, for once on holidays with the family. It will be the first time I get to see elephants and lions in Africa, and be sure I'll bring more appropriate lenses! Not being paid by the South African Tourist Board, I can still recommend anyone to do the same!

Kjell