Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

Is This A Blackbird???

I found this character on a wire with a bunch of blackbirds so It make me think he is a Blackbird with a different color???





TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

The Brewers Blackbird that is common around here has a black male, but a brownish female. However, my guide says the female has a dark eye, not a light one. So I don't know what this is.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
robar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: D/FW area Texas
Posts: 7,590
Default

looks like a female common or great tailed grackle to me. you guys can keep all of them you want.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The Brewers Blackbird that is common around here has a black male, but a brownish female. However, my guide says the female has a dark eye, not a light one. So I don't know what this is.
Thanks for looking and for commenting.


TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

robar wrote:
Quote:
looks like a female common or great tailed grackle to me. you guys can keep all of them you want.

roy
Thanks Roy, after your post I looked it up and I agree. Thanks again.

roger


WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

Interesting, I had no idea what it was, but nice shot anyway.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

A female Great-tailed Greckle it is. They have been spreading North and West and are now common in parts of California. There are some in a park not far from my house. At the Eastern limit of their range they overlap with the Boat-tailed Grackle of the Southeast, which has a dark eye. Theeye coloris the easiest way to tell them apart.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Interesting, I had no idea what it was, but nice shot anyway.

Tom
Like you Tom I didn't know either. Thanks for looking and for the nice comment.



TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

penolta wrote:
Quote:
A female Great-tailed Greckle it is. They have been spreading North and West and are now common in parts of California. There are some in a park not far from my house. At the Eastern limit of their range they overlap with the Boat-tailed Grackle of the Southeast, which has a dark eye. Theeye coloris the easiest way to tell them apart.
I knew you would come thru. "Thanks"


TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:07 AM.