Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:17 PM   #1

Hi All

I have a Question for everyone, specifically if you own an Ipod Video.
Next Spring we are leaving for a Eastern Caribeen Cruise.
Has anyone Here used their Ipod as a backup Storage for your pictures?? IF you have, please tell me your thoughts and how you Would do this.
Just some background. This year in Spring we went on a Western Caribeen cruise. i Brought the Wifes Pany TZ2 and My K100d. I also carried my Fully Size laptop to use for storage. Believe me when I tell you that it was a pain In the A-- to haul that thing around. So this year i was thinking about leaving the laptop home, but i still would like a way to backup my pictures. Since My wife and i both have Ipod Videos, i just thought i might ask about using it.

Thanks

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:33 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Phil,

While I own an Ipod Video, I have not tried backin gup pictures on to it. However, on a visit to the Cayman Islands in June this year, the resort I stayed at had a "cyber cafe" on the premises at which for a nominal fee they would transfer your digital images onto a CD. As for me, I took 2 1 GB SD cards and it seemed to work fine. I figured if I lost my pictures, that would give me a legitimate excuse to repeat the vacation:-)

Hope you have a great time!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:15 PM   #3

There is a thread in another forum that may answer your question about an ipod camera adapter and other available storage devices: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...light=aleratec

The Aleratec Copy Cruiser Plus asked about by the poster of that thread is a relatively inexpensive palm sized device that allows transfer of files between memorycards (especially useful if you use multiple types), USB devices, and/or computers. You can use USB thumb drives, mini/micro hard drives, or any type of memory card. It is battery operated and has a case with a belt loop for carrying in the field. An LCD screen shows the file structure of the devices in use. It is available from mail order houses - mine came from Adorama for about $40 (one of their monthly specials). It may also be available direct from Aleratec at aleratec.com.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:42 PM   #4

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Phil,

While I own an Ipod Video, I have not tried backin gup pictures on to it. However, on a visit to the Cayman Islands in June this year, the resort I stayed at had a "cyber cafe" on the premises at which for a nominal fee they would transfer your digital images onto a CD. As for me, I took 2 1 GB SD cards and it seemed to work fine. I figured if I lost my pictures, that would give me a legitimate excuse to repeat the vacation:-)

Hope you have a great time!

Jay
Hi Jay

The Ship also does offer This service also. They get $10 to do this. Last trip I had My 5-1 gig Sandisk ultra II with Me so i did not lack For Space. However i felt More Comfortable Backing Them up Also. Since i carry the Ipod to watch Videos on the trip from CT To Fla, i thought It might be usefull as a backup tool.
I agree if i happen To lose the pictures it is a great excuse To visit Again, But Then again i Dont need an excuse To visit again. If we like it we will Go again!!!

Thanks

Phil
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:47 PM   #5

Penolta:

Thanks for the link. I will check It out. Due to the Current State of my Fianances( Furnace just Quit) I am hoping To make Do with what i have. But You Never know!!

Phil