Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:06 AM   #31

tsquare wrote:
Quote:
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought you had come to the DC area and took pictures of the Foggy Bottom area where the George Washington University and the State Dept. is located. Much to my surprise, you were out photographing spooky places.:lol: BTW, nice photos.
I live in a creek bottom and it was foggy...Actually a lot more peacful and picturesque that the one in the Capitol area to me. LOL Thanks for taking the time to look in on this one!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:08 AM   #32

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Not much I can add to what has already been said, great shot Dawg!

Tim
Thank you Tim...Just hope you enjoyed looking at it!

Dawg

Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:28 AM   #33

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do not know about the lap top but will look into it...I don't own a laptop but do use one every night at work trouble shooting Programable Logic Controllers. I work on Automated assembly equipment and they are controlled by PLC's...The bad thing is they are not standardised and I have probably 8 different brands and 4-5 different models of each brand. Makes life interesting to say the least..LOL I come from the world of the Box camera...No controls for focus or anything else for that matter, which makes you do your work with the composition more...And from the world of the K1000 Pentax which is all manual...There is an exposure needle that shows up in the viewfinder but no Auto controls on the exposure and no auto focus...I used these for over 35 years and have continued using mainly manual settings as I feel more comfortable there. I also do not like a camera telling me what is the right exposure...I'm right more often than It is it seems. The last may be a delusion on my part but that is how it feels to me. Two things are most important when doing night time low light photography...Patience and Persistance...If each shot must be a perfectly focused and exposed photograph then don't get into it...They won't be perfectly done...If you must have perfection right from the camera with no PP then don't get into it as PP will bring out the mood of the shot better and more consistantly than getting it right in-camera. That is just the nature of the beast and you must get used to it. Again I say Patience and Persistance........... Dawg

Hi Dawg - If I had my choice, I would really like a digital sensor in my old Spotmatic II body, focus, adjust the aperature / shutter speed set for the light - putting the needle in the center, plus I really liked the viewfinder - plus the focusing system just worked better for my eyes - but could never afford the film and the processing the way I have been shooting digital. The immediate feedback is also very helpful - I have found.

The laptop remark was just centered on the remote option I had seen on the K10, along with the one I was playing with on this Canon SD500 I have. Its been 12 years now, but when I was designing the star tracking system (20 degrees of freedom) for the Hobby Eberly Telescope (HET) (its a 9 meter instrument - I think its the 6th largest in the world now - twice the size of Palmor) http://www.astro.psu.edu/het/overview/index.html we were using remote viewing - and yes your right, its not like photography but more like a Gameboy, but its a real interesting way to take images and scroll through a lot of adjustment combinations fairly rapidly.

Also did a SAR imaging system (Synthetic Aperature Radar) and again it was automated.

... but back to your wonderful ghost like image - where your patince and peristence really has paid off. It reminded me when I was over in the UK, I had lunch at a pub - the Headless Horseman founded in something like 1510 in the Hastings area. This was the area where Disney set their old TV series "the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh". We actually drove by the Romney Marsh and your picture was dead on.....

... also - my trips over there were so spur of the moment (business), that I only had an old cheesey very early digital camera - that I would like to forget....

Like you my dream camera is the K1000 with Digital back...I could live and use that till the day I die..LOL I do like the full auto when the Grandkids are over as there are so many of them and they move so fast I've thought of putting up a Grandkid feeder and a blind just to slow them down enough to get a shot in...LOL I've not looked into upgrading the firmware on the K10D yet and version 1.0 seems to be working fine for me so far...The Idea of a lap top and remote controll is not a bad one for my bird photos as the feeders are a good 25-30 feet from my front porch and I would like seeing the image on the computer screen as it is a much better venue for judging the accuracy of focus and exposure settings.
How amazing is it that an Alabama Redneck and a person of your background and world experience are sitting thousands of miles apart and discussing a Digital Camera??? Lordy I would never have thought this would be the way it is 30 years ago....Will wonders never cease??!! I guess it's like my Dad always said...no matter the education level or how traveled or wealthy a person is ...They are still in the end just folks.
One of my dreams has been a trip to the UK and I will never make that happen....Time and circumstance have interceded and the dream ran into reality sooner than I expected....London will just have to get along without a visit from Da' Dawg....Their loss!! I'm glad my photo was able to bring back a memory for you...That is what photos do to me..They inspire and make you think as well as evoking those fond memories of past times...Well for us old folks anyway as we have been here long enough to have them!!!

Impressed by the resume and the fact that all that has not made an elitist of you. That is what's most important ya' know...Like Dad said just folks!!

Just folks
Dawg!