Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 29, 2007, 2:21 AM   #1

Hi all , I think it's my first post here but not the last I'll try to ask my questions with an explanation with my bad english ( I usualy speak french )

I've experienced something weird today : I bought recently 2 set of RCRV3 ( Delkin ) for my *Ist Dsand I charged them only one or two times. When I use them inside or at normal temp. , they work perfectly.

But today outside at cold weather ( -10°C or 14°F ) , I was able to shoot but the image won't record on the SD card ! The battery level was full on the camera.

Maybe I should wait 5 or 6 charge to see them work perfectly in cold weather ? or maybe it's another thing ?

If you have an answer or a tip about that , I'm a taker

Thanks in advance !

Dom
http://pbase.com/dominiccantin
Dominic Cantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2

Not entirely sure on the brand or the "R" infront, but the CRV3's that I use (lithium Deracell or Energizer, non-rechargable) work great in the cold (actually the all around work great). I'm not sure about the reliability of the rechargable lithiums these days. Try the regular kind and see if it helps any, that's the best I can do.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:32 AM   #3

I've never used the rechargeable CRV3 batteries - only regular rechargeable batteries of various sorts (in cell phones and cameras). My experience is that any of the rechargeable batteries don't hold their charge long in cold tempertures.

But I'm not sure that your problem here is the batteries, but rather the camera/SD card - you say that the battery level showed full (mine started blinking pretty quickly). I know that Pentax says not to use cameras below freezing, but I've used mine when it's been above 20 F without operational problems. Has anyone used their cameras in temperatures that cold?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:35 PM   #4

mtgal, where do you find temps that cold in Cali?

I've used my K110 at about -20 C not sure what that is in F, but pretty cold! And no troubles!
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:50 PM   #5

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
mtgal, where do you find temps that cold in Cali?

I've used my K110 at about -20 C not sure what that is in F, but pretty cold! And no troubles!
there are a lot of places in calif. that get that cold..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:52 PM   #6

Dominic Cantin wrote:
Quote:
today outside at cold weather ( -10°C or 14°F ) , I was able to shoot but the image won't record on the SD card ! The battery level was full on the camera...
These are rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries, and not the same at all as primary lithium throwaway CR-V3. Have you tried taking shots since this incident in normal temperatures, to confirm that temperature is the problem.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-15.htmsays that Li-ion should be OK to -20C, though the electrolyte resistance will be increased causing some loss of performance.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:02 PM   #7

Harriet is right about the SD card and cold weather. The Sandisk Extreme line of SD cards are built to withstand the extreme heat and cold from -13º F to 185º F. Whereas a PQI and some Kingston SD cards have an operating temp of 0 to 60° C. I'd give that a try.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:17 PM   #8

Where to find cold temps in Southern California? Easy - about 90 miles north of Los Angeles. It's been in the high 20's F at night this week, and we even had snow in September (VERY unusual! None since, though).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:32 PM   #9

Dominic Cantin wrote:
Quote:
I've experienced something weird today : I bought recently 2 set of RCRV3 ( Delkin ) for my *Ist Ds*and I charged them only one or two times. When I use them inside or at normal temp. , they work perfectly.

But today outside at cold weather ( -10°C or 14°F ) , I was able to shoot but the image won't record on the SD card ! The battery level was full on the camera.

Dom
If I am correct, Delkin is one of the more updated voltage-regulaed RCRV3 which means that its voltage is around 3v not 3.8 @. If you have made sure that its output is less than 3.3V, there is no chance that your problem is battery related.

Try a faster card. See if that helps

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 1:12 AM   #10

Thanks to all for your answer

I'll try to answer to all without pusching *quote* button

MTNGAL : I'm sure it's the batteries because I've used a lots NIMH rechargeable AA batteries in colder temps , like -30°C ( -40 with windchill ) and I've never experienced that. the proof can be seen here http://www.pbase.com/dominiccantin/harfangI know , the tempsare not write on the exif but you can believe me it was very cold :-)

Alan : Just after I saw the problem , I've replaced the RCRV3 by NIMH rechargeable AA and I was able to shoot corectly and my images ( RAW format ) record perfectly on my SD card ( Sandisk Ultra II ,2Gb ). Later ( 3 or 4 hours ) inside, without recharging these sameRCRV3, I took pictureswithout a problem !!?? thanks for the link that I'll read later.

Daniel : My faster card is the Sandisk Ultra II 2Gb. If I experience the same problem again , I'll switch to JPG format instead RAW just to see if it can be a factor ! All my snowy owls have been taken in JPG.

Thanks again !

edit : it's these batteries that I talk about

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/delkin-rcr-v3.htm

Dom
http://pbase.com/dominiccantin

Dominic Cantin is offline   Reply With Quote