Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:21 PM   #1

Is there any camera control software that will work with K100D?

Is there a difference in the standard sd memory cards and the new SDHC ones?

The K100 needs a firmware update to use the newer memory cards. Has anyone attempemted doing the firmware update, and how did it go?

Is there anywhere online to find out what all the letters and numbers on a lens mean?
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:15 PM   #2

GrahamM wrote:
Quote:
Is there any camera control software that will work with K100D?

Is there a difference in the standard sd memory cards and the new SDHC ones?

The K100 needs a firmware update to use the newer memory cards. Has anyone attempemted doing the firmware update, and how did it go?

Is there anywhere online to find out what all the letters and numbers on a lens mean?
Welcome to the Pentax forum Graham! I don't know the answer to your first question. To answer the others in order . . .
The SD consortium defines anything 4 gig and over as SDHC. However, lots of manufactures made 4 gig SD cards that were not SDHC. One of the primary differences is how speeds are labeled, SD is generally labeled as multiples of CD speed, ie: a 60x card is 60x150kbs, the speed of an original 1x CD drive. SDHC is supposed to be labeled as 2, 4, or 6, with the higher number being faster and this is a guaranteed minimum throughput. In reviews I have read, though, some SDHC 2 cards have tested faster than 6 cards.

I did two upgrades on my K100d, no problems with either. Just make sure you have fresh batteries and you should be fine, the upgrade takes about 90 seconds.

Generally a lens will list the focal length(s) and maximum aperture. Focal length is expressed in millimeters, such as 50mm or, for a zoom lens, 18-55mm. The higher the focal length, the "further" the telephoto of the lens. Aperture is generally expressed as a ratio on the lens, such as 1:1.4 or 1:2.8. The smaller the number after the colon is, the wider the aperture can open on that lens. On zoom lenses the aperture will often be expressed as a range such as 1:3.5-5.6, with the lower number being the maximum aperture at the wide angle and the higher number being the maximum aperture at full telephoto. Some zoom lenses are fixed aperture and the maximum aperture stays the same throughout the zoom range. A larger maximum aperture (lower number) is generally good.

Again, welcome, you have found a good place to learn and ask questions.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:43 PM   #3

The pentax web site has camera control software for the K10, but so far it won't work with the K100.

Do you really have a 8 meg memory card for the firmware update or did you find a different way of doing the update?

Thanks for the info about the lenses.

I have always wanted an SLR camera, even as a kid, and now 40+ years latter all the stars and the moons lined up and I got one. Boy do I have alot to learn now. :?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:48 PM   #4

No, you don't need an 8 meg card to do the update. I don't remember how large it the file was, but I am sure it fit on a 1 gig with plenty of room to spare. Once you have installed the update, you can use the larger SDHC cards.

Tim

Edit: Oops, 8 megs is correct. I was thinking 8 gigs when I typed that. Even the smallest SD cards will hold 8 megs.
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:59 PM   #5

I don't know of any software that will allow the K100 to work directly with a computer - the software only supports the K10. I downloaded it but have never tried it - some people have complained that it's buggy, while others have had no trouble. I don't really have a need for it.

As far as the K100 upgrade goes, it is very quick and the file is small. You have to have a card that holds at least 8 megs, but who uses cards that small any more? You will have no trouble with a 1 gig card. My K100 got upgraded last year by a Pentax rep I happened to be talking to in a store. The main thing you don't want to have happen is for your batteries to die in the middle of it (reason for making sure your batteries are fully charged).

The only thing I would add to the lens information is that sometimes lenses will show another number on it. Most of the time it is on the lens cap, but occasionally it will appear somewhere on the lens itself. It will be something like "49mm" and it refers to the diameter of the front element of the lens. That tells you what size filter to buy for it (I have lenses from 77mm down to 49, with several being 52mm) or the size of the lens cap to buy if you lose the one that came with it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 2:21 AM   #6

Tim and Harriet (mntngal) has said about all on figures and letters on the lenses. To make it totally complete I'd like to add this:

In forums like this, reviews and ads a lot of this information is usually omitted for convenience. Example:

The SMC PENTAX-FA 1:1.4 50mm, is often called simply FA 50 1.4, the rest supposedly being understood.

The smc PENTAX-F ZOOM 1:3.5-4.5 35-135mm is accordingly called F 35-135 3.5-4.5.

The official names according to Bojidar Dimitrovs fantastic site, http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/. There you find about everything on the Pentax K-mount products ever made. Bodies, lenses and accessories. Enjoy!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:48 AM   #7

Thanks for all the info. I just realized a big stupid mistake I was making. When the web site said you needed 8meg, for some reason I was thinking 8gigs. I have become so use to files being so big these day I just mixed it up.