Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:01 AM   #11

I have had good luck photographing X-rays and MRI negatives on a lightbox with film, and can see no reason it wouldn't work with digital. I have also rephotographed and rescued old faded photographs (b&w, brown-toned, and sepia-toned) with film and with digital - digital is a lot easier than messing around in a real darkroom, and can evenallow superior restorations. On the other hand, if you know someone with a darkroom and a 4X5 enlarger, you could print them the old fashioned way (way cheaper than having a lab digitize them).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:33 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for their advice and input. I had never considered the idea of photographing the negatives as a means of digitizing them. I wonder if a white piece of paper in a sunlit window would serve as a light box? I suppose there is nothing lost by trying and, if I am not happy with my results, I will send them to the place Roy posted. $5 ea for digitized copies is within my budget, $20 ea for prints was just more than my photography budget could bear.

Thank you all again,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:42 PM   #13

Tim

You could always check out your local full & community colleges that teach B&W photography..

Many still have darkroomswhere you might be able to get an enlargement made on real silver-based paper for a reasonable price..

With your law enforcement background you might be able to work out some kind of quid pro quo arrangement, especially if the negatives have any kind of historical value or interest..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:48 PM   #14

i know it could be a conflict but the PD should have what you need..
i'd also ask the FOP if they had the resourses..

boy do i have a story about the FOP in clarksville kentucky with another LT..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:02 PM   #15

Tim, I have found that placing the negatives between two pieces of glass and photographing them with a true Macor lens does a great job. For 35mm copies I use a slide copier and bellows with a Pentax 50mm f/4 M42 lens and the results are as good or better than a flatbed scanner is capable of or even most dedicated film scanners.

Put the glass and negative in the window during the day for the best light, then put the camera on a tripod with a macro lens (not a zoom with macro) and you will get some great shots that you can then process in PS to reverse the image from negative to positive. Just make sure the lens and negative are at a 90 degree angle since your DOF will be fairly shallow.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:04 PM   #16

robar wrote:
Quote:
i know it could be a conflict but the PD should have what you need..
i'd also ask the FOP if they had the resourses..

boy do i have a story about the FOP in clarksville kentucky with another LT..

roy
Actually, if we did have the right equipment in house it would not be a conflict. I think the lab has an old polaroid positive image enlarger/duplicator but honestly I am not sure what that big piece of equipment does. My office went digital years ago and has not looked back. These negatives were found in a back corner of the crime lab and my hope is to have prints made, framed, and displayed at the office. The negatives were very interesting to look through, I saw lots of photos taken of deputies at their swearing in, these were deputies who were the grizzled old veteran's on the verge of retirement when I started almost seventeen years ago.

I have never joined the FOP. They do (or did) telephone solicitation in our area and that always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Bruce, the community college is an idea I had not considered, I will have to check and see if they have a photography class. I don't think they do but it is well worth checking on.

Thanks,
Tim
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:38 PM   #17

I wish I only had 700. I have over 5,000 to do!!!
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:45 PM   #18

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Tim, I have found that placing the negatives between two pieces of glass and photographing them with a true Macor lens does a great job. For 35mm copies I use a slide copier and bellows with a Pentax 50mm f/4 M42 lens and the results are as good or better than a flatbed scanner is capable of or even most dedicated film scanners.

Put the glass and negative in the window during the day for the best light, then put the camera on a tripod with a macro lens (not a zoom with macro) and you will get some great shots that you can then process in PS to reverse the image from negative to positive. Just make sure the lens and negative are at a 90 degree angle since your DOF will be fairly shallow.

Tom
I guess I was typing my reply at the exact time you were posting yours Tom as I had missed it. Thank you for the specific instructions. I have the Kiron 105mm, tripod, and shutter release cable so all I need is a couple sheets of glass.

I sure appreciate the help. If this works, I can digitize and print many more of these old photos than I would otherwise have been able to do. I will give it a shot and if I do good I will post some here. Who knows, maybe it was a Pentax 4x5 camera (if Pentax ever made any).

Thanks again,
Tim