Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1

Does anyone on the board have experience with scanning old large format negatives? I have some old 4"x5" negatives at my office, apparently dating from the late 1950s through the 1970s. There are shots of old police cars, deputies, police officers, etc, that I would love to make prints of. I did find one old fashioned film developing camera shop two hours away from me that will make prints for $20.00 each. Unfortunately, there are at least ten negatives I would like prints off, and if I could find a way to do this cheaply I would have about thirty negatives.

Any thoughts on a digital way to do this? I do have a flat bed scanner as part of an "all in one" here at the house. Does anyone know a service that digitally scans obsolete negatives? I am hoping to find the cheapest way to turn these negatives into decent quality digital images.

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:23 AM   #2

good ???, tim.
look up some online labs and give them a call..
unless you find a non-pro in the area i don't think you'll get this done locally at a price worthwhile.. i just looked at one place and they were wanting about $15ea for 10 shots.== $150. good luck.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 11:31 AM   #3

tim,
HERE"S one that i found for a decent price. $4ea and the CD is free.. i think i'd go for the 1000dpi/14 bit option in tiff..

roy
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:04 PM   #4

I do old 35mm negatives all the time on my flatbed...But the large format should be done at a lab. Most scanners won't take the large format. I have scanned some larger ones from old box cammeras and the scanner(ACanon does a semi-decent job!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 12:46 PM   #5

I have an UMAX Astra 2200 Flatbed Scanner that has a 4x5 transparency adapter built into the cover. I've tried color slides with not so good results as they were old and fromKodak 126 size film from an old Kodak Instamtic 126 camera. I just tried to scan some old 35mm negatives (Olympus OM10). I'm not getting the color right, but the scanner software has a lot of tweaks you can make (brightness, contrast, shadow, highlight, gamma, curves, etc).After making a preview scanona 35mm negative you can't see much detail in thesoftware preview pane to make adjustments on. A 4x5 would be easier. Are your 4x5 negatives B/W or color? I'm certain I would not get the color right, but B/W might work. I'm going to check with a photog. buddy of mine that has med. format equipment to see how I can do with some of his 4x5 negatives.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:36 PM   #6
Administrator

Some of the HP Flatbed Scanners have transparency adapters built in that can handle 4x5.

Here is one lower cost example. Circuit City has it for $139 now:

If you go to HP's site, this is what it will tell you if you look at the full specs:

"Up to sixteen 35 mm slides, thirty 35 mm negative frames, up to two medium format film frames (120 roll film), or one large format film frame (220 roll film)."

Here's a price search (you'll see the $139 price at circuitcity.com):

http://www50.shopping.com/xFS?FD=0&KW=hp+g4050

I've got an older HP Scanner that has a separate adapter for transparencies (it's a lamp that plugs into the back of the scanner that you shine down through the film templates, versus one built into the scanner top), and it also handles 4x5. Some of the Epson scanners also have this ability. Just check to make sure they handle the fim size you need.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 7:33 PM   #7

Hi NonEntity1
I have a Canon flatbed scanner Canoscan 8400F, I use for documentl scanning work. It also has negative and slide (35mm) facility. You could probably scan large format negatives in 2 slices and Stitch together?

The few slides I have scanned are excellent and I was very surprised how well they came out, as I had been considerind buying a dedicated slide scanner. A friend using same model scanner has had equally good results. Now all I need is time to scan 700 trip photos from 1977!
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:21 PM   #8

the epson 4990(?) will do 8x10 negs but it's expensive. my canon does 35mm but it's takes too long for me to do and i haven't been happy with the results

roy
Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:47 PM   #9

I have an older Epson 1640 SU flatbed scanner that has the top you can use for transparencies. I've done some 35mm negatives and it did all right, color is a bit of a problem but between the scanner software and photoshop, I got it reasonably close. It would probably do the larger 4x5 negatives - the quality isn't as good as I would have liked.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:24 PM   #10

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone on the board have experience with scanning old large format negatives?....
I'd have expected good results with large format simply by rephotographing them using the dSLR (or even my own lesser camera) on a lightbox, or against a window with a diffuse light source behind, and then processing them in an image editor.

I often rephotograph prints using my camera, because it's quicker & easier than using my flatbed and its software.Many people even report reasonable results from mountedcolour slides. The big advantage is instant feedback when trying to get the exposure right.

If you are using a flatbed scanner, with or without transparency adapter, it's worth looking at Ed Hamricks's 'Vuescan' software ( www.hamrick.com ). When I had a filmscanner, I used no other because it was so much better than the scanner's own software. Many different scanners are directly supported, and there's a free trial.

Good luck!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote