Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:01 PM   #11

jachol wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
yeah darlin,
now you see why i toot the horn for off camera flash, especially for macros.. also get a diffuser or better yet just make one..

roy
I'll second Roy on this. ... Here's a homebrew off camera flash for macro. ... Needs a bit of work yet to finish it off. Initial test shots were OK, I've had to improvise some with the diffuser, couldn't seem to find one that fit the flash head. ... Jack
jack , i have one of those 400ftz also. it's a really great flash on my DS as the DS does TTL. i sure wish pentax would build their next cams with TTL support. that's a pentax peeve with me.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:04 PM   #12

harriet,
i am happy you are enjoying your new accessory.. uses are endless.. a lot of people put down the use of flash.. i think it's because they've only used it on camera.

roy
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:14 PM   #13

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Any chance that you have dual wireless? Or anyone has that in action. Like those of Nikon or Canon setup. That would have been perfect but not for macro shot though in the field

I have used up to 3 flashes wirelessly and have had no problems, but I don't know what the maximum number is.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:27 PM   #14

Now that's interesting - maybe something to think about for the future if I decide to do more.

The main reason why I didn't get a flash is that I had one when I was using the film Pentax ME. It was manual and I never got the hang of aperture/flash range/guide numbers etc. and couldn't use it effectively. The first time I tried the in-camera flash I got it all wrong, too. I managed to take use the in-camera flash for fill flash without too much problem, and had occasional good results with macro flowers but that was about it. I cringe when I see the P&S flash pictures where the people look all washed out etc. and figured I'd have to invest in a major lighting set-up to get anything better (my old film flash tended to make things look like that, too). However,onceI tried thePentax rep's flash, I was convinced I had it all wrong.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:39 PM   #15

robar wrote:
Quote:
harriet,
i am happy you are enjoying your new accessory.. uses are endless.. a lot of people put down the use of flash.. i think it's because they've only used it on camera.

roy
I'm having to use it manually Roy with the K100D, but since I use the flash mainly with macro it's not too big a problem, it would be much better with TTL. C'est la vie. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:38 PM   #16

Harriet

Check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/06...uidelines.html this is the beginning to one of the most informative flash related sites. Lost of fun.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:59 PM   #17

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Harriet

Check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/06...uidelines.html this is the beginning to one of the most informative flash related sites. Lost of fun.

Ira
i agree ira. it's a site almonst as good as the luminous landscape

roy
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:43 PM   #18

Very nice shots Harriet. I really need to learn to use my flash. I am jealous of the frost too!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:46 PM   #19

Thanks for the link, Ira. I've started reading through it but realize it's going to take some time for me to really understand all of it. Good food for thought.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote