Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:57 PM   #1

These aren't the greatest, but I was just playing with my new flash this morning. I can say that the K0'sbatteryhas no trouble writing to a Sandisk Ultra II card when the temperture is below 20 F. Flash mounted on the camera's hotshoe with the Vivitar 105mm:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:58 PM   #2

A series of 3 pictures taken with the flash off the camera, operating wirelessly in deep shade (it was very early morning). I used the K10's in-camera flash as a control only, it didn't add any light to the scene.
Attached Images

Old Dec 1, 2007, 5:59 PM   #3

Holding the flash above my shoulder:
Attached Images

Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:00 PM   #4

Macro range. This flash stuff is more fun that I thought it would be.
Attached Images

Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:16 PM   #5

Hey, you're having way too much fun with that flash. It's really opened a new field for your creativity. These are not only stunningly good in their own right, you also introduce a newpath on how to use a flash! Highest marks from the teacher! (Yes, I know, I'm a history teacher, not a photography teacher, but sometimes Imust be entitled to abuse my title.)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 7:45 PM   #6

Thanks, Kjell! It really does open up a whole new area for me. It was funny because I really wasn't that interested in the flash, but was interested in one for macro flowers (Roy keeps telling me how much better it is with an off-camera flash). So when I discovered it was very easy with a modern flash to take decent pictures, I decided it made sense (and my hubby said "yes" when I asked him). It wasn't until I got home and was reading through the flash manual that I thought about using it wirelessly with the K10. I have lots to learn to get predictable results, at the moment I'm just experimenting. I thought the frost covered post came out rather well (the leaf was to prove that it DOES get cold in parts of SoCal!).
Old Dec 1, 2007, 7:58 PM   #7

yeah darlin,
now you see why i toot the horn for off camera flash, especially for macros.. also get a diffuser or better yet just make one..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:38 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
yeah darlin,
now you see why i toot the horn for off camera flash, especially for macros.. also get a diffuser or better yet just make one..

roy
I'll second Roy on this. ... Here's a homebrew off camera flash for macro. ... Needs a bit of work yet to finish it off. Initial test shots were OK, I've had to improvise some with the diffuser, couldn't seem to find one that fit the flash head. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:36 AM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Holding the flash above my shoulder:

Harriet,

You have 540? The off-camera mount is good but it is still direct flash hit (the nail shadow as shown). My flash has not had the power of 540 though.

Any chance that you have dual wireless? Or anyone has that in action. Like those of Nikon or Canon setup. That would have been perfect but not for macro shot though in the field

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:47 AM   #10

In the case above I wanted shadows to give a feeling of shape so I didn't use the in-camera flash for additional light. I should have tried it using both, but I think I would need a tripod to actually get rid of the shadow. I don't think you can use two off-camera flashes wirelessly - the remote flash has to communicate back to the camera and I'm not sure that it would work with two units. The book doesn't say you can't but it doesn't say you can, either.

I'm glad I got the 540 (swivel and more power) and was pleasantly surprised that it isn't impossible for me to shoot with it's extra weight.