Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:24 PM   #1

I have not tried my hand at any of the photo of the day type contests yet but this fall I did submit a few shots for the Florida LakeWatch calendar contest. Lakewatch is an aquatic biology studies program my wife and I volunteer for, where we take samples and measurments of our local lake for the University of Florida.

Anyhow, of the shots I submitted, they picked the one I liked least but it was good for an honorable mention and a free calendar:

http://lakewatch.ifas.ufl.edu/webpix/webpix.htm

I also submitted a shot my wife took with the little Kodak point and shoot. Her shot, of course, made the cover. This has become something of a family joke as now all photos are described in comparison to this one shot. "That is a pretty good photo, but not as good as the dog watching the sun set."

http://lakewatch.ifas.ufl.edu/Buildi...borderform.pdf

It ain't the Louvre, but I guess it is a start :-)!
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:20 PM   #2

Both are winners in my book Tim!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:20 PM   #3

Both are lovely pictures, congrats to both of you. It looks like they had quite a few outstanding pictures, that's some nice company yours is in.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:16 AM   #4

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I have not tried my hand at any of the photo of the day type contests yet but this fall I did submit a few shots for the Florida LakeWatch calendar contest.* Lakewatch is an aquatic biology studies program my wife and I volunteer for, where we take samples and measurments of our local lake for the University of Florida.*

Anyhow, of the shots I submitted, they picked the one I liked least but it was good for an honorable mention and a free calendar:

http://lakewatch.ifas.ufl.edu/webpix/webpix.htm

I also submitted a shot my wife took with the little Kodak point and shoot.* Her shot, of course, made the cover.* This has become something of a family joke as now all photos are described in comparison to this one shot.* "That is a pretty good photo, but not as good as the dog watching the sun set."
Tim,

The dog pict is cool. Something so common can be so special. Congrat for both of you

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:20 AM   #5

Great Tim.

I once got an honourable mention in a photo contest (using an old k1000, a 50mm f2 lens and film of course) and my only other win was to win a category in a contest run buy the local Consumer Co-Op (using a Pentax Optio p&s digital). Since then I haven't really gotten any shots good enough to enter:sad:.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:03 AM   #6

Congrats, Tim. I think yours is a lovely photo.

I've had the same thing happen with my own photos. I'll submit some taken with my K100D and some taken with my old p&s and the p&s ones will win. Plus, sometimes I think it's the mood the judges are in or the stars in the sky or something. I've got one photo I just love and anyone who sees it says I should enter in a contest. Well, I have. It's gotten two second place ribbons and one third and an honorable mention. This was only local fairs, but still.

Anyway, good job. Keep submitting.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:

I also submitted a shot my wife took with the little Kodak point and shoot. Her shot, of course, made the cover.
Isn't that the way it always is? I seldom agree with the monthly judges' selections from the POTD's - it is all in the eye of the beholder. Both of these are winners in my book, anyway.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:08 PM   #8

Congrats, Tim, and even more so to your wife. Can't you play "thehumiliated child" who has to be compensated with a little present? A lens or two?

Seriously, both are well worth the appreciation.

Story from true life: my brother-in-law wanted to give my son (7 years old by then) a casting rod for fishing. I tried to explain to him that such a device was far too complicated to handle for a little child and suggested a simple fishing rod with a float and a hook.

No no, the child was given a casting rod. How could I refuse him to bring it to the lake for a fishing tour? I tried to console him in advance to prevent him from cryingwhen the line went haywire and the lure got stuck in his jacket, explaining to him how even many adults had a hard time learning to use this thing.

Who got a pike on his first try ever to swing the darned rod over his head? Who brought two pikes to home for mummyto cook forevening meal? :blah:

And who kepthis big mouth shutfor the rest of the day?8)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:36 PM   #9

Both are nice shots Tim, I guess you should have put some wildlife in yours.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:44 PM   #10

IMHO both are winners.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote