Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:37 PM   #11

Thanks, everyone. I had played around a little with each of them in PSE5. Levels or smart curves were needed on all. Plus, the sky in the background of the tower one was totally washed out. So, I replaced it with a gradient gray sky. Here is one that did come out okay. No sky in it. I didn't even think about shooting in RAW. I keep forgetting I have it on this camera.

I tried the contrast/brightness on most, but some just made them look worse. Also, tried playing with highlights/shadows. Is it possible to take photos with a digital that do not need to be adjusted? It seems every photo I take needs levels adjustments. Is that normal? I have the book by Brian Peterson (??) UnderstandingExposure. Guess I should read it.:-)

Thanks, Phil, I am feeling a little better. Hope you are, too. And, Tom, I like your version of the photo. I hadn't thought of adjusting portions on it. Even though I did on the tower one. Iprobably should have stayed off the computer today.

Tim, glad you liked the info on the tower. We had been going for years and my husband only recently showed me that tower. It is a cool place to go. There's another tower up on a hill hidden if you don't know to look for it. I don't remember the name of it. But, it's similar to that one, just sitting in the middle of nowhere by itself.

My husband's family used to live in Newport and we were trying to get shots of places they would remember to put with their gifts.
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:00 PM   #12

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to take photos with a digital that do not need to be adjusted?
If your camera offers the facility, I suggest you try bracketed exposures for a while, and see how much under or over-exposure is most often necessary, and which level of exposure-compensated shot needs the minimum post-processing most often.

I'm using bracketing less often now that I've got used to adjusting exposure by eye using my EVF live preview. But not many folk have that, especially if they've got really good equipment otherwise.

I always start on -0.3EV on my current camera, but it's a matter of taste. I loved the 5-shot bracketing facility on my Casio QV-5700 (principal camera, Jun03-Sep05), and I keep it ready to go just for that facility and one other.

Anyway, the shots you post round here always look very pleasing to me. But I don't know how much work you put in to them!

Have fun!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:24 PM   #13

The best thing would probably auto-bracket and then do an HDR of the frames. Of course that requires a tripod etc.

I gave it a try with the first one, just changed the white balance a bit and adjusted the curve in Lightroom. Not sure it helped all that much, and I may have gotten a bit carried away with the white balance, trying to make it a little less blue.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:29 PM   #14

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Goose Neck Cover off Ocean Ave. It was very windy and cold out here.
This place just LOOKS cold and the casual way you mention how batteries perform below 20 degrees. That's about a twice a decade event for us, makes me shiver to think of it.

I think your photos are outstanding the way they are. They convey a feeling of simple beauty, while at the same time transmitting the imagery of the coming cold.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:57 PM   #15

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
.....the casual way you mention how batteries perform below 20 degrees. That's about a twice a decade event for us, makes me shiver to think of it.
20 degrees and cold! Gosh, what's that in furlongs per fortnight? I need these occasional reminders that Britain isn't that old-fashioned, really. So thanks for the reminder of our olden days.

Although everyone round here in the UK measures their body weight in stones (which gives a small whole number), our weather forecasters have successfully and gently weaned us off Fahrenheit over the last few years, without any of us noticing.

I won't even mention US vs Imperial gallons vs litres!.<G> (:-))
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:39 AM   #16

Thanks for the new comments. Alan, my camera does do bracketing. I think when I first got it I kept it set at +.3, but it didn't seem consistent now that I think of it. I'll try again. I do notice that it's always the right end (white side???) that I need to pull back on levels. Thanks for the comment on my photos. Until the past few weeks I hadn't been doing much post processing. My thoughts had been that was cheating to get a good photo. But, then I realized that any photos I was taking before by film, the developers were probably doing the same things I'm doing in PSE5 now. I mostly just do levels on things now.

Harriett, I had brought my tripod this time intending to try some panoramic shots. But, since I wasn't feeling well had forgotten to turn off the auto settings on my series and one of the shots is really dark. Will have to reread the tips for doing that and try again. I had done it on the Goose Neck Cove shot.

Curious how you changed the white balance. In PSE5 I can go in and adjust color cast. It doesn't always seem to work, thouh. Sometimes it turns other things so blue.

Paul, 20ºF is nothing. Although, I'm not quite ready for it yet. It was 9º Saturday afternoon about 3 p.m. That's when I stay indoors!:-)

Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:47 AM   #17

patty,
looks like you have some diehard sailors there.. it doesn't snow here very often but before i sold the boat we use to make a point by always sailing in it.. it usually ended up as 3 soaked to the bone, freezing 3 old dogs with plenty of antifreeze in each..
some really nice shots..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:04 AM   #18

Since you wanted to know how to overcome the dreary skies I thought I'd drop these little tidbits on how I handle them. Just my way of doing it and not to say this is the only way. I use a Cokin Filter System that allows you to adjust the amount of filtration plus the ability to rotate the filters to mask out over bright overcast skies and allows the lower sections to be more brightly exposed. The first photo is a representation of how the photo would look with a Gradual Gray Neutral Density filter used.

The second is with a Skylight 1-A filter and the Gradual Gray Neutral Density filter stacked. This gives it more warmth than the first.

You can do post processing and get decent results by darkening the skies but I really prefer doing it in and with the camera as it seems to do a better job that way. Just a matter of getting and using filters...One piece of advise I have found very useful as well is to frame the photo to get as much of the over bright over cast skies out of the photo as you can..That way you won't under expose the lower section. Like I said this is the way I do it and not always the way others might.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:00 PM   #19

Thanks, Dawg. I did have a 1A Skylight filter on. It's always on. I have one for each lens and one seems pink tinted and the other blue. Maybe I should have switched them that day. I also have a circular polarizing filter, but it wasn't much use that day. And, have a grad. nd filter. Don't know why I didn't think of using it. I had tried to get rid of some of the sky in some of them. But, ended up chopping a lot of tops off in the process. Wouldn't it have caused problems with the CG station if it split the building in half?

Roy, I think the sailboats were some class. They all had the same style boat and were following the same patterns. I think they were crazy! We were only out of the car about 10 minutes at a time and freezing. I hate to think of how cold they must have been on that water. Guess that's what the antifreeze is for, though.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:21 PM   #20

I enjoyed your lightly processed photos because they capture New England as I remember it. Thanks.
bruder is offline   Reply With Quote