Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:29 AM   #1

i work at a computer store and since it was sleeting and snowing, i decide to take my camera out and shoot some people at work just for fun. it was a slow day. i was enjoying it because i only had it for about a week and a half and this was my first time i was able to spend more than 10-15 minutes with it.

i take a few shots and i notice that i can't see through the viewfinder anymore. i take a couple more shots. i check to see if i put the lens cap back on. i do pretty much everything. same thing.

i check the lens. nothing is wrong there.

then i notice that the pentamirror is crooked. i shine a little flashlight in there and notice that it's off the hinge and only half of it comes down. i can still shoot with it. but only after i click the pentamirror all the way back down only to do it again after another shot.

has anyone heard of any similar problems with the GX-1L?

aside from this setback, it takes really good shots and i'm contacting samsung tomorrow to get it sent off for repair. this is my first digital SLR and i truly enjoy this camera.

here's some shots that i've taken with it so far:

dnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 6:38 AM   #2

That would be the first problem of that nature I have heard of. I think you have done the right thing already. Samsung should make good on the camera. I think with this kind of equipment manufacturing defects tend to show up early and it sounds like you have found one.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:13 PM   #3

hopefully it's still under warranty because that's where it needs to go. if it's pretty new then try to exchange it. it's the 1st i've heard of it also.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 4:53 PM   #4

I would take it back instead of trying to fix it yourself, you should get an exchange instead of having to wait for Pentax to repair it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:02 PM   #5

i'm not able to take it back as it was the last one that was in stock. it was a markdown and i got it at a good price. i'm going to go through samsung and see what they can do.

thanks everyone.
dnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:52 PM   #6

You're referring to the reflex mirror not the pentamirror. The reflex mirror bounces light from the lens onto the focusing screen and it must get out of the way for an exposure to be made. The so-called pentamirror is on the top of the camera above the focus screen and directs light from the focus screen to the eyepiece.
Ron C is offline   Reply With Quote