Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:59 AM   #1

When I left work yesterday, I met my wife at a shopping mall across town. We both got in her car and ran a couple of errands.

At the time of day, there was a front coming through the Savannah, GA area and within 30 minutes of its arrival was proably the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen. The Sky was ablaze in brilliant Reds and greys as the sun set and reflected off of the clouds.

Now, where was my shiny new K10D? In the trunk of my car several miles away from where my wife and I were in her car.

What a frustration.....
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:02 AM   #2
Administrator

I should have looked out the window. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:05 AM   #3

LOL! I can't tell you how many times I've seen a pretty sunset when I've been driving on the freeway. No good place to get off, camera in the back of the car out of reach.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:05 AM   #4

Yep, you should have. It was an absolutely awesome sunset.

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:53 AM   #5

When flying home from South Africa there was the most beautiful sunset over the clouds. Really spectacular clouds and the sunset enhancing the scene even more. Of course I thought about taking my camera out from my hand luggage, and cross the floor to get a shot through the little window. I decided not to, saying to myself "Kjell, for Gods sake, just enjoy it, you don't have to get a shot of everything. Don't make a fool of yourself."

What was the November Challenge?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:12 AM   #6

Ahh... the missed sunset, we had amagnificent one here on the 29th. I wasshutting down for the dayand noticed how the clouds had all been setup for an awesome looking sunset. Had about a half hour until sunset so I rushed out the door for my 20 minute drive home to get the K10D, but someone decided to close two of the three lanes on the highway home.So what should have taken 20 minutes took 75 and by the time I got home it was dark. I'm at least glad I got to see the sunset andeven though I didn't get a snapshot of it with my camera, I have a snapshot of it in my memory.

Kjell that was my idea for the November challenge, but it never worked out right. Had two flights and I scheduled them both in the late afternoon/early evening but the weather didn't cooperate as it was overcast both days and nothing but gray outside. Oh well... I have thousands of hours of flying when I was in the Air Force. I know I must have missed some glorious sunrises and sunsets then too but since I was in the back end mission part of the aircraft, I didn't have any windows to look out of which was probably a good thing on those 16 hour missions.

Do most of you keep your camera gear in your vehicles at all times so you have it when you want it? I don't, but maybe I should? I have always thought the temperature extremes and variations would not be good for it.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 9:39 AM   #7

Eddie...That is where the pocket P&S comes in...Never leave home without it!! Sorry you missed it. Sometime in the Spring give us a look at the many Squares in Savannah. Last time I was there I had no camera and every step was a new photo op to be had...The only camera I had with me was a little 35mm and I ran out of film and couldn't afford any more after my stay on Tybee Island...No long zoom so I missed a good shot at the Cockspur light house...One of my favorite light houses on this planet...Made a vow then to get and keep a good camera and since digital was coming in good back then decided to go all digital too. Savannah made up my mind to get into this hobby deeper than I was and to this day I wish I had been into it then... So many good photos missed. Sigh.......

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:03 AM   #8

It wasn't a sunset I missed ... Just this morning I happened to look out of the window ... there was a beautiful male pheasant strutting up the middle of the avenue. Dashed to grab the camera, there was no lens fitted of course ... by the time I found and fitted the 300mm zoom, the pheasant had disappeared. My P&S only has 3X zoom, I wish I'd tried it at least I would have had a picture. First time I've seen that in all the years I've lived here. wasn't meant to get that pic I guess. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:56 AM   #9

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
"Kjell, for Gods sake, just enjoy it, you don't have to get a shot of everything.
I am working on trying to find a balance between simply enjoying the moment and capturing it. There was an article in this month's Outdoor Photography on this subject too. I know there are times I have missed experiencing the moment because I was to busy pressing the shutter button.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:51 PM   #10

ishino wrote:
Quote:
Do most of you keep your camera gear in your vehicles at all times so you have it when you want it? I don't, but maybe I should? I have always thought the temperature extremes and variations would not be good for it.
I've gotten so I carry it with me everywhere. Goes to work every day with me sitting on the front seat. (Don't leave it in the car, though.) I even take it out on my lunch hour, just in case. Although, must confess, my bursitis in my shoulder has been acting up and the past few weeks I've been leaving it at work at lunch unless I have something I specifically want to shoot. I even take it to the grocery store on the weekends. Never know when you'll see something. I am in the process of finding the perfect p&s to replace one my son lost. Just can't find it yet. Needs minimum 8MP, 6-10x zoom, viewfinder, video with zoom, small, not expensive, nice to shoot RAW. Think that's it. Haven't found it yet.

I'm with Tim. Trying to find the happy medium to enjoy the scenery and capturing it. I do remember a lot of shots I've missed over the years in my mind. They probably weren't as good as I remember, but in my mind they were great!

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote