Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:28 PM   #11

Crash wrote
Quote:
I am heading home for Christmas (yay) and then off to a new mission in January to Sudan for 8 months. Photo opportunities galore.
I really want the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for that trip.
Besides wishing you a safe mission in a hardship post (referred within diplomatic corp) , I would wish you every success in recording with great pict the events there as well.

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations on the new lens Alun!* I replied to your PM before reading this thread, so I am now finally up to speed.* A fast zoom in that range is on my wish list too, I am looking forward to seeing some of your shots.* Be safe on your mission; keep your head down and ammo dry!

Tim
I am green with envy too for a great lens that Crash is to have .
But the mission is certainly not for the faint of heart. A lot of us in a civilised zones have not had much idea of what is unfolding in some dark area of the world

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:27 PM   #12

i have an old 80- 200 tokina with a wobble in it
you are quite welcome to borrow it and leave that good lens with me when you get back here
(you wouldnt want to get sand in it would you?)

extreme summer wear?
budgie smugglers and zinc cream?

how do i get a job like yours?????
it does actually sound like a holiday
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:04 PM   #13

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Roy

I am not sure which skills I will need, my soldiering one or my policing ones. :O

I plan to keep my head down and photograph everythinng I can.

Luckily, the government pays me very good money and so does the UN on these missions, so these lens buys are not a biggie, I really am spoilt.

I will PM you the auctions, Just in case people here are bidding.

Both Sigma ones auctions(finished and active) and the one for the Pentax lens. Don't swear too much at the price. I was over a barrel.

Crash
Yep, keep your head down Crash. From what I've read there are a LOT of crazy folks in that area.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:55 PM   #14

Gumnut

I spent 19 yrs policing in the WA. Then lateral transferred. I make the most of my mission time to photograph what I can. UN Missions are harder that others in that you work 7 days a week. The longest I went was 96 days straight without a day off, working 12 hour days. I must be crazy :? which apparently will help me fit in over there. :whack:

Just checked my lens delivery, the Ebay seller posted it the day after I bought it and it is now in Melbourne in customs, and the seller has already given me my buyer feedback. Very professional.

I think I will beat my lens home by one day. Impressed.

Gumnut, If you are interested in some lenses, email me I have couple surplus to requirements that you might be interested in. Big ones!
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:27 PM   #15

By the way, I have found the FA* 80-200 to be a very hardy lens that holds up to almost anything, but treat it with care anyway.

If you have a Pentax film camera such as a PZ-1 or MZ-S try that lens on those and you will see fast focus like you won't believe.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:10 AM   #16

That was damn quick. Lens delivered today and your not wrong, very sturdy and robust and bloody heavy.

A quick picture, not a spectacular subject, but very happy so far, can't wait to give it a good try out over Christmas.
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:54 AM   #17
Administrator

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I believe somewhere there is a conspiracy there. Not only Sigma has been withholding something that is sure a huge demand. Meanwhile the counterparts in Nikon/Canon have been sold like hotcakes. Tamron 70-200 f2.8 was announced in Mar 07 for Pentax mount.
I've been scratching my head for a while over some of Sigma's decisions, too. They could have been selling a bunch of 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses to both Pentax and KM/Sony owners.

In Minolta/Sony AF Mount, they've been bringing in the 900s used on Ebay (more than they were selling for new at most vendors when they were available).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:26 AM   #18

Crashman wrote: A quick picture, not a spectacular subject,

Congratulations, and hey, that is a great rose picture. A good photo can make a prosaic subject look spectacular, and this is one!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:22 PM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I believe somewhere there is a conspiracy there. Not only Sigma has been withholding something that is sure a huge demand. Meanwhile the counterparts in Nikon/Canon have been sold like hotcakes. Tamron 70-200 f2.8 was announced in Mar 07 for Pentax mount.
I've been scratching my head for a while over some of Sigma's decisions, too.* They could have been selling a bunch of 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses to both Pentax and KM/Sony owners.

In Minolta/Sony AF Mount, they've been bringing in the 900s used on Ebay (more than they were selling for new at most vendors when they were available).**

Support for the conspiracy theory:

Sigma has been ignoring demand for its 70-200 F2.8 (for both AF Sony and Pentax K mount)
Not only that it has stopped production for a yr now
Tamron has announced a 70-200mm F2.8 since Mar. Nothing happens.
All along they have been selling the same zoom for Canon/Nikon mount.
There is something going on that we are not supposed to know

Daniel

p.s. Toronto photo group has a Sony/Minolta fellow who has an AF 70-200mm 2.8 (of course with SR) . He got that at around $500 compared with the Sony comparable at $1700.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote