Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1

Pardon my French, but ……..bloody eBay!!!!!!!!!!! :x:x

I am travelling a lot and my lenses and cameras get quite a pounding, so I have been quite happily using Sigma lenses. They just seem to be more robust. Any difference in optical quality is minimal (if any) and they are generally cheaper than Pentax lenses.

My collection has increased and the only one I have been hankering for has been the 70-200mm f/2.8, no longer produced and the new macro version doesn't come in Pentax mount…yet!!!!

I am heading home for Christmas (yay) and then off to a new mission in January to Sudan for 8 months. Photo opportunities galore.

I really want the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for that trip.

I only plan to take a few lenses,
10-20mm Sigma
28-70mm f/2.8 Sigma
300mm f/2.8 Sigma
2 x Tele converter
And a 70-200mm f/2.8 (if I could get my hands on one.)

Here is where eBay comes in.

I have three searches set up looking of this lens. Every day I get email notifications of lenses listed on eBay and nothing for Pentax, except one and the seller was a newbie, so I decided not to bid.

Then today I find a forum thread talking about how people bid on a lens in excess of the "Buy it Now" which by the way was only $900 US. If I had seen this auction I would have bought it with the Buy It Now. The auction had closed the other day so I missed out, but they listed other similar lenses also still available including another 70-200mm f/2.8. I checked the auction but he will not ship outside the US/Canada. :-x

(Tim, check your PM's you will know where I was trying to go with this one)

For months now I have been looking for this lens and for months now there are lenses going up for auction that I can't even find when I search for them. :angry::angry:

I cut and pasted the "Title" of the lens currently up for auction and searched for it on three eBay websites. http://www.ebay.com, http://www.ebay.com.au, and http://www.ebay.co.uk.

It only comes up under the http://www.ebay.com website even though I selected "world wide" in my search criteria. I even widened the search variables t o "Sigma" "Pentax" and "70-200mm" and it still doesn't list it.

As a result of needing (well I think I NEED it, I want it a LOT, does that count as NEEDING?) this lens range.... I bit the bullet.

I hit the "Buy it Now" button and purchased a SMC Pentax FA★80-200mm f/2.8ED IF. An early Christmas present to myself.

I truly hope it will take the punishment of international travel in harsh conditions.

Anyways, I feel better now knowing I have this lens, but wish to let others know that if you are looking on eBay (as we all do) make sure you bookmark several eBay sites to search from.

Sorry for the rant, I needed to vent. Now I just have to wait for the lens to arrive. It will be interesting to see which one arrives first. Me or the lens. :G
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:46 AM   #2

crash,
i'm sure that bullet was a tough one. do you have a link to the auction?
from the shots posted by tom, this appears to be a very nice zoom. no way i could consider it though because of the $$.. my wife would kill me even though she brought home a sewing/embroidery machine at $5000 a year and a half ago. she did however trade in 2 other machines in the deal.. i'm still contemplating death over that deal:blah:.

Sudan, sounds like a very harch place to be going to but i know you have the experience to stay safe...
please keep it that way.....

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:14 AM   #3

Roy

I am not sure which skills I will need, my soldiering one or my policing ones. :O

I plan to keep my head down and photograph everythinng I can.

Luckily, the government pays me very good money and so does the UN on these missions, so these lens buys are not a biggie, I really am spoilt.

I will PM you the auctions, Just in case people here are bidding.

Both Sigma ones auctions(finished and active) and the one for the Pentax lens. Don't swear too much at the price. I was over a barrel.

Crash
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:35 AM   #4

Crash, I had the Sigma version and sold it after comparing it to the Pentax one because the Pentax was far sharper wide open than the Sigma. On the other side the Sigma was much lighter than the Pentax, so it was a better walk around lens as the Pentax takes a bit of practice to be able to hand hold shots of moving objects.

Be careful about getting the Pentax wet as a member on dpreview got his splashed with sea water and had to have it completely redone by Pentax to get it to work again.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:19 PM   #5

If you are looking on ebay for Pentax lenses, you have to watch it like a hawk - any good deals disappear fast (and even not so good ones). Until the K series DSLRs appeared there used to be pages and pages of them at dirt cheap prices, and now those days are gone forever; that demandtells you something about the success of these cameras.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:55 PM   #6

I cannot for the life of me understand why Sigma is not choosing to offer that lens in the Pentax mount in its new lens introduction announced this week. That there is a demand for the 70-200 f2.8 can easily be shown by the insane prices these lenses are fetching off ebay.

Adorama still lists the lens as "available" in the Pentax mount, but on back order status. However, on the Sigma website, the Pentax mount is not listed in the mounts in which either the old, or the new, lens will be available.

Like Crashman I have been following several of these auctions, but I just can't bring myself to spend more than a thousand dollars for a used lens (i.e. no warranty) which has a retail price new of $ 895.

Unless someone begins offering an f2.8 in this range, Pentax is going to begin losing some shooters, particularly those who like to shoot sports. We've had at least one persons who once was a regular in this forum who's made the move to Brand C primarily because of the scarcity of long, fast glass. I badly wanted one these lenses for soccer season, but it's not going to happen at these prices for used lenses.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 2:04 PM   #7

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
I cannot for the life of me understand why Sigma is not choosing to offer that lens in the Pentax mount in its new lens introduction announced this week.* That there is a demand for the 70-200 f2.8 can easily be shown by the insane prices these lenses are fetching off ebay.

Adorama still lists the lens as "available" in the Pentax mount, but on back order status.* However, on the Sigma website, the Pentax mount is not listed in the mounts in which either the old, or the new, lens will be available.

Like Crashman I have been following several of these auctions, but I just can't bring myself to spend more than a thousand dollars for a used lens (i.e. no warranty) which has a retail price new of $ 895.**

Unless someone begins offering an f2.8 in this range, Pentax is going to begin losing some shooters, particularly those who like to shoot sports.* We've had at least one persons who once was a regular in this forum who's made the move to Brand C primarily because of the scarcity of long, fast glass.* I badly wanted one these lenses for soccer season, but it's not going to happen at these prices for used lenses.
I believe somewhere there is a conspiracy there. Not only Sigma has been withholding something that is sure a huge demand. Meanwhile the counterparts in Nikon/Canon have been sold like hotcakes. Tamron 70-200 f2.8 was announced in Mar 07 for Pentax mount.

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/news/rele.../0307_a001.htm

And nothing happens.

Nikon is selling something a (allegedly) low end VR for its kitlens. Nikon claimed that it was a less than top rated vr system. This will surely be followed by Canon in its lower end kit zoom. There is going some undercutting Pentax's current huge advantage in the 200mm below marketing advantage in freebe SR/IS/VR.

Crash wrote
Quote:
I am heading home for Christmas (yay) and then off to a new mission in January to Sudan for 8 months. Photo opportunities galore.

I really want the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for that trip.
Crash :
Good idea. New mission with new lens. Likely the weatherproof DA* are better choice for Sudan???

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:45 PM   #8

I have followed these lenses for almost a year. I ordered a new Sigma and then found out they were out of stock, then I was told they did a special run to fill already submitted back orders. Then I was told the were bringing out version II of the new Macro, to fix the softness of the lens and it would be coming in Pentax mount.

All this information was coming from the Sigma distributor in Australia and seems to have to faded into rumour. In the end I didn't want to get to Africa and not have this lens.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom,

the Pentax was my original choice, but knowing what conditions I get into on these missions I went for the Sigma, cheaper and less of a worry if it dies. Now I will just have to be extra careful with this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel,

The kit they issue for this mission is scary, ranging from thermals and knee high galoshes to extreme sun wear.

I have been told by other already there that the temperature one day was 50ºc (122ºf) in the shade and 65ºc (149ºf) in the sun. Ouch! :shock:

Not sure how it will go, but I think I will cope. In my time off I plan on getting into Kenya for a safari, I knew there was reason for taking my 300mm f/28 :lol:, Egypt and a trip to Europe dong London, Munch and Paris.

It actually sounds like a holiday, but trust me, these missions aren't. You just have to maximise your 6 days off each month and accept a 7 day work week.

Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:38 PM   #9
TDN

Congrats Crash! That's one of my if-I-ever-have-the-money lenses

Would be awesome at concerts, or to use as a 160-400mm f5.6 with a 2x teleconverter . (Note that the Tamron model of this converter has the contacts to keep supporting the powerzoom!)

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:38 PM   #10

Congratulations on the new lens Alun! I replied to your PM before reading this thread, so I am now finally up to speed. A fast zoom in that range is on my wish list too, I am looking forward to seeing some of your shots. Be safe on your mission; keep your head down and ammo dry!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote