Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1

Tim, here is a 645 slide I photographed with my DS using a 90mm macro lens. As you can see it isn't exactly square since I just set the frame from my flatbed scanner with the slide in it in my window and took the shot in a hurry, but you get the idea. Also, I forgot to change the ISO from 400 to 100, which will give you a better image.

This method works great and takes far less time than using a scanner of any kind does. I did have to work on the shaddow/highlights in PS since the film covered more DR than the digital image did.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2007, 5:57 PM   #2

Thank you Tom! This was my project for today. After trying it using a window and alaso outside using my reflector as a shade I finally got the best shots indoors using daylight balanced flourescent lights. The post processing is very time consuming as these negatives were poorly stored and are covered in scratches and flyspecks. However, the PSP X2 blemish removal tool does a great job on the flyspecks and is much better than the clone tool.

This is the first one I have completed, the envelope was dated 1971. I grew up with this man's sons and he was one of the "old timers" when I started in this line of work. I thought it came out pretty well.

Thank you and everyone else who gave me advice on this project. Being able to digitize these myself will allow me to do many more than I would have otherwise.

Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:04 PM   #3

That turned out great Tim, I doubt you would have gotten a better print using a darkroom.

Tom
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:35 PM   #4

i agree. tim, i'll try and remember to post a couple of scans i did with my scanner tomorrow. there're on the other machine.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:22 PM   #5

Thank you! PP work is still not as fun as photography, but I am starting to enjoy it more than I did. This one was in an envelope dated 1959. I need to check on Monday, but I believe both of these two houses are still standing, if I am remembering correctly my wife and I lived in an apt around the corner from here the first year we were married.

Tim
Attached Images

Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:24 PM   #6

This is the last one. There was no date on the negative envelope but it was apparently taken at an early radar school. There were shots of the actual radar in the same envelope looking like a stubby rocket launcher mounted on the car window. Thank you again (everyone) for the help with this project.

Tim
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:20 PM   #7

I came up with one more question for this project and figured I would post it here rather than in a new thread. Do black and white prints need to be printed on black and white paper or can they be printed on color paper. I notice that not all online photo printers even offer black and white paper as a choice but I do not know if that is due to lack of demand or if it is because it does not make much difference.

Thanks,

Tim
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:20 PM   #8

i have had black and white negatives printed on to colour paper
as a quick cheap way of getting proofs

colour negatives have an orange base to them
so when black and white are printed this has to be compensated for
or you get a colour cast in the prints

they never looked as good as real black and white paper prints
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:39 AM   #9

If you are printing in a darkroom you need to use black and white paper, it you are printing with an inkjet printer the better quality paper you use the better your print, but both color and black and white can be printed on the same paper.

Tom
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:44 PM   #10

Tim, way off of the subject, but until seeing your 2nd shot, I never realized where Lake Placid is & its proximity to Sebring. A friend of mine's dadowns(or at leastdid...haven't heard from him in a while) Usher Furniture in Sebring.

Ok...I'll shut up...back to the subject!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote